Jeera rice is very simple jeera flavoured rice which can be prepared very easily. If you need a change from regular plain rice then jeera rice is the best and easiest option. I have added whole spices which adds amazing fragrance and taste to this jeera rice.
It is the simplest of all flavored rice and goes well with most of the gravies and dals. I have already posted few of the dal recipes which makes your choice easy to choose an accompaniment with jeera rice. If time permits then you can choose other flavoured rice for your meal.
Learn how to make simple and easy jeera rice with this step by step recipe.
Step-by-Step Jeera Rice Recipe :
- 1 cup rice or basmati rice
- 1 ½ - 2 cup water or according to need
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 green cardamoms ( elaichi / elchi )
- 1 inch cinnamon ( dal chini / taj )
- 3 cloves ( laung / laving )
- 3 black pepper ( mari )
- 1 bay leaf ( tej patta )
- 1 star anise ( chakra phool / chakri phool )
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- Wash the rice and soak for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pot.
- Add cumin seeds and all spices.
- Saute till cumin gets brown in color. Add drained rice and salt.
- Saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Add water according to need.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium slow flame till rice get done. Cook the rice till 85% – 90 % only. Do not overcook it. Still in between.
- When rice will get cooked. Turn off the flame. Add fine chopped coriander in cooked jeera rice.
- Serve hot jeera rice with chana dal orany variety of dal & kadhi. Jeera rice also goes well with curries and Punjabi sabji.