Rava Uttapam or Instant Suji Uttapam is a quick and simpler version of the traditional uttapam. Traditional uttapam prepared by dosa or idli batter which requires planning. Soaking, grinding, and fermentation usually takes a day.
Whenever I am running a sort of time and need to prepare a lighter meal, I choose this recipe. All you need to soak Rava in curd or buttermilk for 15 – 30 min. Even you can use lemon juice in place of curd. If your uttapam is not turning soft and spongy, you can add a pinch of cooking soda or eno.
You can prepare plain uttapam with this batter or topping it with onion, chili, and vegetables of your choice. Grate some cheese for kids. Black pepper powder, roasted jeera powder or Maharashtrian style kanda lasun masala can be used to enhance the flavor.
You can also our other quick and easy recipes :
Here is a complete recipe card for Rava Uttapam:
- Rava / Semolina / Suji – 1 cup
- Curd – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup + ¼ cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Green chilies – 1-2 chopped ( optional )
- Ghee / Oil / Butter for cooking
- In a deep bowl, add 1 cup of Rava, salt, and curd.
- Mix well.
- Add ½ cup water and mix well.
- Prepare a lump-free, thick and smooth batter.
- Set this aside for 15 – 30 min.
- After 30 min, mix well.
- Add ¼ cup water and black pepper powder.
- You can add cooking soda too.
- Mix well. Prepare a pouring consistency batter.
- Rava uttapam batter is ready now.
- Heat a dosa tawa.
- Pour ¼ tsp oil and wipe using kitchen napkin.
- When tawa is enough hot, pour the ladleful batter.
- Spread it evenly and prepare a thick uttapam.
- Cook for a minute.
- When half cooked, spread onion and green chilies.
- Press gently.
- Spread oil or ghee on edges.
- Cook for a minute more.
- Flip over the uttapam.
- Press gently.
- You can see a nice golden crust.
- Cook for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Plate it when cooked.
- Serve warm with coconut chutney, fresh curd or Tea.