Sambhar is a lentil based wonder recipe from the South of India. This sambhar is prepared with various vegetables, spices and condiments that go into a typical Sambhar which gives all the nutrients the body needs. Sambhar gors well with dosa, idli, rice, vada, upma or other South Indian snacks. Goodness of dal and vegetables in one of the simple yet healthy dish!
This sambhar is prepared with various vegetables, spices and condiments that go into a typical Sambhar which gives all the nutrients the body needs.
Author: Zeel Patel
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
Serves: 4 - 5
For Boiling :
- 1 ½ cup toor (arhar / toovar / split pigeon peas) dal
- 4 cup water
- 2 small onion
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
Other Ingredients :
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 15-20 curry leaves
- Pinch asafoetida
- 3 medium size onions ( fine chopped )
- 3 tomato ( puree )
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 3tbsp sambhar masala
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ cup imali ( tamarind ) / ½ tsp dry mango powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp fenugreek powder (methi powder ).
- 2 tbsp fine chopped coriander
- Vegetables of your choice.
Instructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)
- Soak sambhar masala, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder with the help of 1 cup of water for at least one hour.
- Soak imali in 1 cup hot water for 1 hour. Mesh it with fingers. Strain pulp.
- Method :
- Rains dal properly.
- Mix all ingrediants for boiling in pressure cooker.
- Boil till 4 whistles and then simmer it on slow flame for 5 min.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend dal using hand blender into smooth texture.
- Add imali pulp, methi powder, half curry leaves, water according to requirement and salt into dal and boil it for 10-15 min on slow flame.
- Combine the drumsticks and bottle gourd or vegetables of your choice with 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the vegetables are soft. Keep aside. ( optional )
- At the same time heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add dry red chili and curry leaves. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add urad dal and sauté till it turns into pink color. Add asafoetida.
- Add onion. Sauté till onions get transparent.
- Add tomato puree and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add soaked masala water, boiled vegetables and salt.
- Sauté till oil starts to get released.
- Transfer this mixture into dal.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off flame.
- Garnish sambhar with coriander and serve hot with idli, dosa,upma,rice, vada and other south Indian recipes.