Suji Appe | Instant Rava Appe Recipe | Quick Vegetable Paniyaram | Semolina Pancake Balls
Suji Appe is an instant south Indian breakfast recipe prepared with semolina, curd, veggies, and Spices. Traditionally it is made up of using leftover Dosa/Idli Batter, but this is the instant version made using Rava or Semolina, which takes little time to cook and tastes delicious.
Appe is also known as Paniyaram, Paddu, and Ponganalu. It is like a small round spongy ball just like fritter but with less oil. They are crispy outside and soft inside.
Rava Appe recipe includes a batter of suji/semolina/Rava, yogurt, and water. Apart from soaking the batter, it does not require any fermentation, grinding, or milling. Into the batter, I add a few veggies and tempering of a few spices to enhance taste and nutritional value. The batter is poured in the Appe pan and cooked with little oil/ghee on both sides.
To make Appe, you will need a pan with Appe mold, which you can easily find in Indian Markets with 7, 9, or 12 shells.
Suji Appam and relatively easy to make. It is a healthy breakfast option. My Instant Rava Appe recipe is a variation to the traditional Appe recipe.
- Adjust the spiciness by altering the quantity of green chili according to your taste and liking.
- To make it more healthy, tasty, and soft, then soak with buttermilk or add ½ cup of curd while soaking semolina.
- You can substitute the Cooking soda with any Fruit salt (and lime juice to activate it).
- Serve Appe hot or warm.
- Relish this yummy Suji Appam recipe for breakfast, brunch, or even during meals.
- It is a great snack option for kids.
- You can serve them with any tomato-onion chutney, coriander-mint chutney, coconut chutney, garlic chutney, Peanut chutney, pickle, podi, green chutney, tomato ketchup, sauce, fresh homemade curd, or Sambar.
- Appe stays fresh for up to 1-2 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
- If you feel like eating them, then reheat them in the microwave again for a few secs.
- You can also store the batter for a couple of days but make sure you do not add soda into it.
Here is the video recipe of the Suji Appe recipe :
You may also like to try some other healthy breakfast recipes :
- Vegetable Idli
- Oatmeal Banana Shake Recipe
- Vegetable Dalia
- Oats Uttapam | Instant Oats Suji Uttapam | Oats Onion Uttapam
- Rava Uttapam | Instant Suji Uttapam
- Ragi Besan Chilla | Ragi Besan Chilla Recipe
- Moong Dal Dosa | Green Moong Dal Chilla | Pesarattu
Do try this easy Suji Appe recipe and let me know how it turned out. If you like this recipe, then rate the recipe card and share it with your loved ones. Make sure you follow me on social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, Subscribe to my YouTube channel, and Like my Facebook Page to catch my latest updates. Stay healthy and Safe. Happy Cooking!!!
Here is the recipe card of the Suji Appe Recipe :
- Suji / Semolina - 1 cup
- Onion - 1, small chopped
- Carrot - 1 chopped / Grated
- Capsicum - 1 small chopped
- Green chili - 1 chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Hing - a pinch, optional
- Salt according to taste - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Water / buttermilk / curd - 1 - 2 cup, as per need
- Cooking soda - a pinch, optional
- Oil/ghee for cooking
- In a pan heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add urad dal, curry leaves, and green chili.
- Roast for a min.
- Add chopped onion.
- Cook for a min.
- Add capsicum and carrot.
- Cook for a min.
- Add semolina / Suji.
- Roast for 2-3 min until release aroma.
- Turn off the flame.
- Let it cool down a bit.
- Add salt and black pepper powder.
- Add half of the water/buttermilk/curd.
- Mix well.
- Make a thick batter and keep it aside at least for 15 min.
- Again mix well and add water/buttermilk as per need.
- Make a thick pouring consistency batter.
- Heat appe pan.
- Grease it well using oil/ghee.
- When the pan is enough hot, fill appe pan with 1-2 tbsp of batter.
- Cook them until getting a nice crust.
- Flip them and cook from the other side.
- When done, take them out on a plate.
- Same way prepare all appe.
- Serve them with coconut chutney/onion tomato chutney/curd/chutney of your choice.