In this chill weather who wouldn’t like to have some hot hot Tawa Pulao. Tawa pulao is a recipe from the streets of Mumbai. As name suggests, tawa pulao is made on tawa/tava. It is very easy to prepare and tastes simply irresistible.
In this chill weather who wouldn’t like to have some hot hot Tawa Pulao. Tawa pulao is a recipe from the streets of Mumbai.
Author: Zeel Patel
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 3 - 4
For cooking the rice:
- 1 ¼ cup rice or long grained rice
- 2 - 4 cups of water for cooking the rice
- 1 tsp oil or ghee
- Salt as required ( approx. 1 ¼ tsp )
For the tawa masala:
- ½ cup onion ( thinly sliced ) ( 1-2 med size onion )
- ¼ cup tomatoes ( fine chopped ) ( 1 med size tomato )
- ½ cup capsicum ( fine chopped ) ( 1 med size capsicum )
- ½ cup carrot ( fine chopped ) ( 1 med size carrot )
- ¼ cup potatoes ( boiled and chopped in cubes )
- ¼ cup grean peas ( matar )
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder or add as required
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 2 tsp pav bhaji masala or add as required
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tbsp butter/oil or oil/ghee or half-half of both
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or as required
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves ( fine chopped )
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt as required ( ½ tsp )
Instructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)
- Rinse the rice grains till the water runs clear of starch.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 20-30 mins. Drain and then add the rice to a pot or pressure cooker.
- Pour 4 cups water in the rice. Add salt and ghee. Mix well.
- Cover and cook the rice till the rice grains are cooked well.
- The rice grains should be separate also cooked well.
- Don't cook the rice too much or make them mushy.
- In a strainer, add the cooked rice and let all the water drain away.
- In another way, pressure cook rice with 2 cup of water for 2 whistles on medium-high flame.
- Let the rice cool and you can proceed with the rest of the recipe.
For the tawa pulao masala:
- In a pan or kadai/wok melt the butter or heat oil and ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry them till they get browned.
- Add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and Saute till the raw aroma goes away for 1 min.
- Add green peas and sauté for 2-3 min.
- Then add the finely chopped carrot and capsicum/bell pepper.
- Stir and add all the spice powders - turmeric, red chili powder and pav bhaji masala and salt.
- Stir again and saute the whole mixture till you see butter releasing from the sides.
- Add the chopped potato and tomatoes. Mix well. Sauté for 2 min.
- Add the cooked rice and gently mix the veggies with the rice.
- Turn off flame.
- Add butter, lemon juice and coriander.
- Serve tawa pulao hot withboondi raita orcucumber raita or plain yogurt accompanied with papad and pickle of your choice.