Vegetable Idli..! a tasty option to traditional idli. Vegetable idli are not only colorful and delicious but also very healthy. If you or your kids are bored of the regular idli, i am damn sure that they will love this one, try these colorful vegetable idli for a change. You can use any of your favorite vegetables in vegetable idli. Serve these delicious idli with your favourite chutney and sambhar.
Vegetable Idli..! a tasty option to traditional idli. Vegetable idli are not only colorful and delicious but also very healthy.
Author: Zeel Patel
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: South Indian
- 250 gm idli rice / boiled rice
- ½ cup urad dal ( skinned and split black lentil )
- 5 fenugreek seeds / methi dana
- 2 tbsp beaten rice / paua
- ¼ cup curd
- Salt according taste
- Pinch of cooking soda
- Water as required
- Oil for greasing
For vegetable masala :
- 2 cup fine chopped vegetables ( carrot, capsicum, beans, cucumber, cabbage )
- 2-3 green chilies ( fine chopped )
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp black pepper powder or according to taste
Instructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)
- Wash rice and dal properly.
- Soak rice, dal and methi dana in a separate vessel for 6 – 8 hrs or overnight.
- Strain them. Grind the rice in a grinder using very little amount of water. Do not make very smooth paste.
- Same way make a smooth paste of dal, paua and methi dana using very little amount of water.
- Combine both in a broad and deep pan.
- Add curd. Keep the vessel in a warm place for 6 – 8 hours for fermentation.
- Heat oil in one pan.
- Add green chilies. Sauté for a while.
- Add all chopped vegetables. Add salt and pepper powder.
- Cook it till get half cooked. Do not cover the lid.
- At the time of cooking add salt soda and water of required.
- Heat water in a steamer. Meanwhile grease the vegetable idli molds.
- Pour the batter in a vegetable idli moulds.
- Steam them in a steamer. When water starts to get boil in steamer at that time put steamer.
- Keep on high flame till vegetable idli get cooked.
- Turn of the flame. Take it out side and allow them to cool down for few minutes.
- Take vegetable idli out from moulds. Repeat same method for more vegetable idli.
- Serve vegetable idli with hot sambhar and coconut chutney.
I liked the addition of beaten rice in the recipe. Idli looks so beautiful and YUM