Aloo Bhindi | Bhinda Bataka Recipe | Okra Potato Stir Fry
Aloo Bhindi ki Sabzi is a delicious North Indian vegetable dry curry dish made from Okra/Lady Finger (Bhindi) and Potato (Aloo) tossed with some dry Indian Spice powders.
This Sabzi is a mildly spicy, savory, vegan, and vegetarian dish. It is a no-onion, no-garlic recipe.
Bhindi Aloo is one of the classic vegetable combinations. I cook this Aloo and Bhindi in Mustard oil to get its unique taste, flavor, and aroma. It is healthy too. Then, I have added the dry Indian spices like Red chili powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric, Garam masala, Dry mango powder, and salt.
It is optional to add Onion, Garlic, Ginger, and Tomato in this Bhinda Bataka Recipe for a semi gravy texture. It tastes good as well.
Okra is a low-calorie vegetable rich in vitamins, minerals, and dietary fibers. It has no Saturated fat or cholesterol. It helps to control blood sugar levels. It also helps with weight loss.
Bhindi/Okra is my husband’s and daughter’s favorite vegetable. Hence, I make this recipe at my home almost every week. It is a quick one-pot dish recipe. You can make this recipe in your busy mornings for kids’ lunch boxes or for your office tiffin box with Roti on the side.
This recipe is cooked on a weekly basis at my home for lunch or dinner with some Indian bread like Phulka Roti, Chapati, Paratha, or as a side dish with Dal-Rice / Kadhi-Chawal. You can also try my Masala Bhindi Recipe.
This is an easy and simple recipe with its unique taste. It is soft and crispy in texture. Here is the video recipe of Aloo Bhindi.
You can also try other Indian Curry Recipes :
Do try this Simple Sabzi Recipe and let me know how it turned out. If you like this recipe, rate the recipe card and share it with your friends and family. Please make sure you follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to catch my latest updates.
Here is the recipe card of Bhindi Aloo recipe :
- Bhindi / Okra - 250 gms
- Aloo / Potato - 2 medium
- Mustard oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Hing - a pinch
- Salt - 1 tsp, according to taste
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp, according to taste
- Coriander powder - 2tsp
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Aamchur / dry mango powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Wash the bhindi and wipe them.
- Chop them and keep it aside.
- Peel the aloo and chop them cubes.
- In a Kadai, add mustard oil or oil of your choice.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start to turn brown, add hing.
- Add chopped aloo and bhindi.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on slow flame until the bhindi and aloo are cooked completely.
- Stir after every 4 -5 minutes to avoid sticking at the bottom.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add all dry masala.
- Let it cook on a slow flame for some time.
- Turn off the flam. Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with Roti, paratha, Dal - rice, Kadhi Chawal !!