Besan Ladoo | Besan Laddu | Besan ke ladoo – one of the most favorite and healthy Indian sweet which is prepared usually during Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi, and Navratri!
Homemade Besan ladoos made with besan/gram flour/chickpea flour, sugar, and ghee. Traditionally Besan Ke Ladoo is prepared using deshi cow ghee and castor sugar. Want to learn how to make ghee at home ?? Click here.
There are two different methods to prepare the besan ladoo. In the first method, dry roast the besan and then add ghee. In the second method, besan or gram flour roasted in ghee on slow flame till getting a pleasant aroma. I have prepared besan ladoo using the second method, learned from my grandparents.
Things to take care while preparing besan ladoo :
- Always roast on slow flame. Keep stirring continuously.
- If you don’t have castor sugar, you can use powder sugar.
- You can add chopped or powdered dry fruits like almonds, cashews, pistachios, raisin, etc.
- If you are unable to form ladoos even mixture has cooled down completely, refrigerate it for some time. Ghee will set easily then prepare ladoos.
You can try other traditional Indian Sweets :
Here is a recipe card for Besan Ladoo Recipe:
- Besan / Gram flour – 1 cup, tightly packed
- Homemade Ghee / Desi Ghee – ½ cup + 1 tbsp
- Castor Sugar – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Melted ghee – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- In a deep bowl, add besan.
- Gradually add 1 tbsp milk and 1 tbsp ghee.
- Rub between your palms.
- Take some flour, press in your palm with a finger.
- If it binds together, it is ready.
- If required add 1 more tsp of milk and ghee.
- Now in a mixer jar, grind it for few seconds.
- You will get a perfectly crumbly texture.
- If you have coarsely ground besan flour ( usually available during festival season), Skip this procedure.
- In the iron Kadai, heal ½ cup of ghee.
- When ghee is enough hot, add prepared besan flour.
- If required add 1 more tbsp of ghee.
- Roast it on a slow flame for 6 -7 min.
- Stir continuously, otherwise, besan flour will get burn.
- After 5 min, flour mixture will start to release the aroma.
- The flour will turn into a dark golden color. At this stage, turn off flame.
- It will take an approximate 6-7 minute. Time varies on quantity and flame. So please keep an eye.
- Transfer it into a broad plate. Let it cool down.
- Meanwhile, measure the castor sugar / bura sugar and keep it aside.
- If you don’t have castor sugar, powder the sugar in a grinder then measure and keep it aside.
- If you like the nuts then chop them and keep it aside.
- When besan mixture is lukewarm, add sugar, cardamom powder, and nuts.
- Roll into a ladoo of the desired size. Store them into the airtight container.
If you don't have castor sugar, you can use powder sugar.
You can add chopped or powdered dry fruits like almonds, cashews, pistachios, raisin, etc.
If you are unable to form ladoos even mixture has cooled down completely, refrigerate it for some time. Ghee will set easily then prepare ladoos.