Dalia Khichdi | Dalia Moong Dal Khichdi | Broken Wheat Khichdi Recipe
Today I am going to share a super healthy and tasty recipe of Dalia that is Dalia Khichdi.
Dalia Khichdi is a savory porridge that is a simple, easy, quick, and tasty recipe. It is a one-pot dish recipe with a soft consistency and perfect comfort food for my family.
To make this Dalia Khichdi recipe, I have used vegetables like carrots, capsicum, peas, beans, potato, and tomato. You can add any vegetables of your choice. Here, Dalia, Yellow Moong daal lentils, and vegetables are cooked in a tempering of Indian spices, onion, chili, and garlic. For no onion no garlic dalia khichdi recipe – just skip them.
What is Dalia?
Dalia is also known as Cracked wheat / Broken wheat. It is a traditional Indian Super Food/Grain often used in every Indian household. It is also known as Bulgur Wheat, Broken wheat, Ghau na Fada, Burghul, or Couscous. It is made by milling the raw wheat grains coarsely, which is then cleaned, husked, and processed to the required size.
Various Dishes from Dalia:
- You can prepare Dalia in both sweet and savory dishes.
- The Sweet Dalia version is best for people with sweet-tooth and kids.
- The Savory Dalia is mildly spicy and loaded with vegetables.
- Its other recipes are Dalia Kheer, Dalia Lapsi, Dalia Pulao, Dalia Upma, Dalia Porridge, and many more.
- For Health freaks and weight watchers, Dalia is a perfect option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Hence, The Vegetable Dalia Khichdi recipe is the best option for any meal for people who want to lose weight.
- It is low in calories, fat, and cholesterol, rich in protein, iron, and dietary fiber, and has a low Glycemic index.
- It is rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
- Vegetable Dalia Moong Dal Khichdi is filling and easy to digest and prevents constipation.
- It is the best option for babies and toddlers too.
- You can feed it to people recovering from illness.
- Pair this tasty and healthy Masala Vegetable Dalia Khichdi with plain homemade curd(yogurt), Raita, papad, and pickle of your choice.
- Always serve it hot/warm.
- Please do not forget to drizzle a spoonful of Desi Cow Ghee on top. It enhances the taste too. Click here to learn how to make Ghee at home.
Here is the video recipe of the Dalia Khichdi Recipe :
You may also like to check more healthy diet recipes :
- Chole Salad | Kabuli Chana Salad Recipe
- Vegetable Dalia | Masala Vegetable Dalia Recipe
- Paneer Bhurji Roll | Paneer Bhurji Wraps | Paneer Bhurji Kathi Rolls
- Vegetarian Mexican Fried Rice Recipe
- For more diet recipes click here.
If you tried my super easy Dalia Khichdi recipe and liked it, then please leave a star rating on the recipe card.
Please do share this recipe with your loved ones who are in search of tried and tested recipes.
Please make sure you follow me on social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, Subscribe to my YouTube channel, and Like my Facebook Page to catch my latest updates. Stay healthy and Safe. Happy Cooking!!!
Here is the recipe card of the Dalia Khichdi Recipe :
- Dalia / Broken wheat - 1 cup
- Yellow Moong dal - ½ cup
- Onion - 1, chopped, optional
- Mix vegetables ( Carrot/ Capsicum/ Peas / Beans / Potato / Tomato ) - ½ - 1 cup
- Green chili - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 5 - 6 cloves, optional
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Dry red chili - 1, broken
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon - 1 small
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - ⅛ tsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Hing - 1 pinch
- Salt - 1 - 2 tsp, as per taste
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp, optional
- Water - 2-3 cups
- In a bowl, add Dalia and moong dal.
- Wash them properly.
- Soak them in enough water for 30 min.
- After 30 min, discard the water and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker or pot, add ghee and oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add clove, cinnamon, dry red chili, and bay leaf.
- Add cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add pinch hing.
- Add chopped green chili, garlic, and curry leaves.
- Saute for half a minute. Add chopped onion.
- When onion turns translucent, add mixed vegetables.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked Dalia and dal.
- Roast for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add all dry masala and salt.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 2 - 3 minutes on high flame.
- Turn the flame to slow to medium.
- Close the lid.
- Pressure cook for 2 - 3 whistles or cook covered in a pot until done.
- When pressure is released, add chopped coriander and gently mix.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee and fresh curd.