Ayurveda mentioned lots of benefits of Lauki. Dudhi or lauki is easily digestible and one of the best cooling agents for our body. It contains lots of vitamins and minerals too. That’s the reason every mom wants to make her child eat lauki in any form.
“ Dudhi Thepla” one of the best dish from Gujarati cuisine. You will love the tangy taste of curd and crunch of sesame while having it. This is a healthy tea time snack too.
For variations can prepare the same recipe with methi leaves. Even you can use Bajra or Juwar flour along with whole wheat flour.
Almost after 5 years here I am posting the video of the same recipe :
- Lauki / Dudhi / Bottle Guard - 1 ¼ cup
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp or according to taste
- Green chili – 1-2 no
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3-4
- Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Carom seeds – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
- Dry flour for rolling
- Oil for cooking
- Water if required
- In a mixing bowl add grated lauki and salt.
- Mix well and leave it for 15 min.
- Meanwhile make a paste of chili, ginger, and garlic.
- After 15 min, add ginger chili garlic paste, dry ingredients, and curd.
- Mix well. Add 1 tsp of oil and flour.
- Knead into a smooth dough. If required then only add water.
- If you feel flour is too soft and won't be able to roll it then add ¼ to ½ cup extra flour and knead again.
- Grease the dough with 1 tsp of oil.
- Divide dough into 10 equal portions.
- Take one portion. Flatten and dust it with some flour.
- Use the rolling pin and roll into a circle of 12 cm diameter.
- Heat the tava and place the thepla on the tava. The tava should be medium hot.
- You will see the thepla puffing up from the base at some places.
- Flip the thepla when partially cooked.
- Flip again when the other side is about is to cook.
- Spread some ghee/oil, flip and cook well.
- Make all thepla this way. Either serve them hot or stack them in a roti basket.
- Serve this dudhi thepla with aloo bhaji, fresh curd or pickle of your choice.
- Even these dudhi thepla goes well with tea or coffee.
- You can preserve this thepla in an airtight container for 2 days and enjoy it during your traveling.