Eggless Rava Cake is a good healthy option for tea time cakes. I used fine Rava, milk, curd, butter, and sugar to prepare this recipe. To make more nutritious Rava cake, I used whole wheat flour in place of maida.
To prepare this cake soaking of Rava is the required step. So whenever you are preparing this cake, don’t forget to put the timer. You can add your desired flavors like cardamom powder, lemon zest or orange zest. You can add chopped nuts and chocolate chips too. You can bake this in a cooker as well.
This eggless semolina cake is similar to Basbousa, which is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake. Basbousa is a sweetened Rava cake with orange flower water or rose water simple syrup.
You can also try other eggless cake recipes :
Here is a recipe card for Eggless Rava Cake :
- Fine Rava / Barik Suji – ½ cup + ⅛ cup
- Whole wheat flour/atta – ⅛ cup
- Powder Sugar – ⅓ cup
- Baking powder – heaped ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – ¼ cup
- Curd / Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Milk – ¼ cup + ⅛ cup
- Vanilla Essence few drops
- Tutti frutti ( candied fruits ) – 2 tbsp
- Or Chopped nuts – ¼ cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1 tsp
- Measure all ingredients and keep it aside.
- Grease 6” cake tin with butter or sunflower oil and dust it with whole wheat flour.
- Melt butter in a pan or just microwave it for 20 sec.
- Same way lukewarm the milk in pan or microwave it for 20 sec.
- Powder the sugar if you don’t have readymade powder sugar.
- If you don’t have fine suji or rava, grind the regular rava for a few seconds.
- In a deep mixing bowl add curd or yogurt. Whisk well to get the lump-free texture.
- Add powder sugar, melted butter, milk, and vanilla essence.
- Whist well to well combined all the ingredients.
- Add rava. Whisk it well to get a lump-free batter.
- Rest it for 30 min.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and soda. Mix well and keep it aside.
- In another bowl add tutti frutti or chopped nuts. Add a teaspoon of flour and coat them properly. Keep it aside.
- After 20 mins, start preheating your oven at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F. Place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- After 30 min, you can see rava has absorbed all the liquid. Add coated tutti frutti or nuts and flour mixture.
- Give a quick mix with a spatula. Don’t over mix.
- Pour batter into the greased tin. Tap twice to remove the bubble.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 min. Keep an eye after 15 min.
- Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, your Rava cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool down on a rack for 15 – 20 min.
- Remove the cake from the tin, let it cool down completely.
- Slice it and serve. For later use store in the airtight container at room temperature.
If you are using microwave convection and size is more than 25 litters then bake at 200 degrees C.
You can use round or square 7” cake tin, baking time may vary. So keep an eye after 15 min.
You can use the same amount of maida in place of whole wheat flour.
You can replace sugar with brown sugar or unrefined sugar as well.