Gujarati Kadhi | Gujarati Kadhi Recipe
Kadhi is the most delightful dish of the Indian Cuisine, which is known for its unique taste and aroma. Every state and region has its unique way of preparation and servings. Today I am sharing, Gujarati Kadhi recipe with you all. This Gujarati Kadhi recipe is my family recipe – I hope you all will love it !!
What is kadhi? Kadhi is a gravy-based preparation using dahi/buttermilk and besan/gram flour. The base ingredients of the kadhi are besan, dahi, salt, fenugreek seeds, ginger, green chili, curry leaves, ghee, cumin seeds, and Indian whole spices. Some recipes call for besan pakoda too.
To prepare the Gujarati kadhi- mix the besan with the dahi or buttermilk. Adjust the consistency by adding water as per liking. Add salt and ginger chili paste, methi dana powder, jaggery(optional). Cook it on a slow flame until besan is cooked and kadhi releases all its flavor. Pour the tadka of ghee, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and whole spices. Garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve hot. Enjoy this Gujarati kadhi with khichdi / bajra rotla / rice, a dollop of ghee, papad, pickle, and kachumber/salad.
Kadhi is not only a flavourful traditional dish but also loaded with health benefits. Kadhi is good for overall health. Below are some health benefits of having kadhi in diet :
- Rich in protein, iron, Vit B6, folate
- Improves gut health and digestion
- Good for hair and skin
- Low in GI index, so helps in weight-loss
- Good for toddlers and old-aged people too
Kadhi has a special place in the Gujarati Thali. It has a balanced taste of sweet and sour. Tadka made from desi ghee makes it an aromatic and fragrant dish. Gujarati dal and Gujarati kadhi both have their unique taste and importance in our cuisine. Below are some delicious food combinations with Gujarati kadhi :
- Khichadi Kadhi
- Vegetable pulao and kadhi
- Kadhi, rice, and chutti mag ni dal
- Kadhi, rice, and moong curry
- Kadhi and Bajra rolta
- Puran Poli, Bataka nu shak and Kadhi
While making ghee, we get the tasty buttermilk as a by-product. My mother used to strain it and make kadhi out of it. Have you ever tried that Kadhi? Check here for the homemade ghee recipe.
Tips while preparing Gujarati Kadhi :
- Dissolve the besan properly before start cooking
- If curd starts to curdle while cooking, dissolve 2-3 tsp of besan with water and add it to the kadhi
- Always cook kadhi on a slow flame to avoid curdling
- Use a stainless vessel to prepare a kadhi
- Kadhi overflows, so fill the pot up to 50%-60%
- Can add garlic along with ginger and chili
- Can add methi dana in tadka too
- Add jaggery as per taste and according to the sourness of dahi
Here is the video recipe of the Gujarati Kadhi Recipe :
You may also like to try other Gujarati recipes :
- Traditional Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe | Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe
- Gujarati Muthiya | Lauki Muthiya Recipe
- Gujarati Fafda Gathiya Recipe | How to make Fafda at home
- Traditional Gujarati Mohanthal Recipe | Gujarati Mohanthal Recipe
- for more recipes click here.
If you like this Gujarati Kadhi recipe, then rate the recipe card and share this recipe with your friends and family. Please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Subscribe to my YouTube channel, and Like my Facebook Page to catch my latest updates. Stay healthy and Safe. Happy Cooking!!!
Here is the recipe card of the Gujarati Kadhi Recipe :
- Sour Dahi - 1 ½ cup or buttermilk - 2 cups
- Water - 3 cups
- Besan / gram flour - 3-4 tbsp
- Methi dana powder / powdered fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- Green chili - 3-4, as per taste
- Ginger - 2-3 inch, as per taste
- Garlic - 7-8 cloves, optional
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Salt according to taste - 1 tsp
- Jaggery - 2 - 4 tbsp, as per taste, optional
- Coriander leaves - ¼ cup, chopped
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Cloves / laung - 2
- Cinnamon / dalchini - 1 inch
- Dry red chili- 2, broken
- Bay leaf - 1
- Green cardamom - 1, optional
- Methi dana / Fenugreek seeds - 4-5 ( optional )
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Hing - a pinch, optional
- In a pot, add curd or buttermilk, gram flour, or besan.
- Whisk well using a wired whisk / valoni or hand blender.
- Add water. If you are using buttermilk, then decrease the quantity of water by ½ cup.
- Make a paste of green chilies and ginger in a mortal-pastel or chili cutter.
- Include garlic also if adding that in the recipe. Make a paste of all three and keep it aside.
- Start cooking the kadhi on a slow flame.
- Add salt, green chili and ginger paste, jaggery, half of the curry leaves, and fenugreek powder.
- Keep stirring and let it come to the first boil.
- When kadhi starts to boil, keep on simmer for at least 20 min.
- Kadhi overflows very fast, so do not cook on high flame and stir at regular intervals.
- To skip continuous stirring, put on a small plate in the reverse direction inside the pot. Refer to the video recipe.
- Once kadhi is boiled, prepare tadka.
- When kadhi is about to be done, the layer of a froth is almost gone.
- Heat the tadka pan, add ghee.
- Add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to get spluttered, add fenugreek seeds.
- Then add all spices except curry leaves and asafetida.
- When whole spices start to release aroma, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Turn off the flame and immediately add tadka into kadhi.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot Gujarati kadhi with moong dal khichdi.
If curd starts to curdle while cooking, dissolve 2-3 tsp of besan with water and add it to the kadhi
Always cook kadhi on a slow flame to avoid curdling
Use a stainless vessel to prepare a kadhi
Kadhi overflows, so fill the pot up to 50%-60%
Can add garlic along with ginger and chili
Can add methi dana in tadka too
Add jaggery as per taste and according to the sourness of dahi