Kanda Poha Recipe | Onion Poha Recipe | Indian Flattened Rice Dish
Kanda Poha is a wholesome one-pot breakfast recipe, which is much-loved across all parts of India. The preparation of the Poha is varying from state to state or even family to family. It is my style Kanda Poha Recipe.
Kanda poha is a simplistic yet flavorful recipe. It requires minimal ingredients. To prepare Kanda poha, prepare a tempering of mustard seeds, green chili, curry leaves, and hing, add thinly sliced onions, saute them for a while and add soaked poha. Season it, cook it for 5 – 10 min, squeeze a lemon, and Poha is ready to serve. You can add cashews, raisins, roasted or fried peanuts, pomegranate, chopped onion, tomatoes, raw mango, sev, spicy boondi as a topping. You can also add grated carrot, beetroot, or fresh coconut. During evening snack time, serve this delicious Kanda Poha with a hot cup of Adrakwali chai, aka Ginger tea with milk. My mother used to make vegetable poha for light dinners too.
The essential part while preparing Kanda poha is soaking of poha. I used to rinse them under running water in a strainer. Avoid soaking poha in water for a long time, else poha will absorb excess water and turn sticky and mashy.
For no onion, no garlic poha recipe, use potato in place of onion.
For the Jain Poha recipe, skip onion and potato and follow the rest of the recipe.
Poha is an easily digestible form of raw rice. Not only this, Poha is a good source of carbohydrates, packed with iron, rich in fiber, a good source of antioxidants and essential vitamins, and is gluten-free. That’s why Kanda Poha is one of the healthy breakfast options. You can add them to your weight-loss diet too. Simple and less spicy Kanda poha will be a good option for toddlers, old-aged people, or sick people. You can enjoy soaked poha with fresh homemade curd too.
Here is the video recipe of the Kanda Poha Recipe :
You may also like to try other healthy breakfast recipes :
- Ragi Besan Chilla | Ragi Besan Chilla Recipe
- Vermicelli Upma Recipe | Sevai Upma | Semiya Upma
- Gujarati Muthiya | Lauki Muthiya Recipe
- for more breakfast special recipes click here.
You can try more Indian Street Food Recipes :
- Sev Usal Sev Usal Recipe | Gujarati Street Food Sev Usal Recipe
- Moth Sprouts Chaat | Matki Bhel
- Gujarati Fafda Gathiya Recipe | How to make Fafda at home
- Click here for more Street Food Recipes
Do try this Kanda Poha recipe, and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you liked this Kanda Poha recipe, then rate the recipe card. Share the Kanda Pohe recipe with your loved ones. Don’t forget to follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to catch my latest updates. Stay healthy and Safe. Happy Cooking!!!
Here is the recipe card of the Kanda Poha Recipe :
- Poha / Indian Flattened Rice - 2 cup
- Onion - 1, thinly sliced or chopped
- Green chili - 2-3, chopped, as per taste
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Cashews - 1 tbsp, broken, optional
- Raisins - 1 -2 tsp, optional
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds - ½ - 1 tsp, optional
- Hing - a pinch optional
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Sugar - 1 tbsp or more, as per taste, optional
- Salt - 1 tsp, as per taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Juice of one lemon or as per taste
- Coriander leaves - ¼ cup or more, chopped
- Place poha in a sieve and wash it properly under running water.
- Toss well to drain out all excess water. Keep it aside for 10 mins on a wire rack.
- Gently toss them and separate them from each other.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and sugar. Gently mix well and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and green chilies.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry the peanuts until done. Take them out into a bowl and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds start to splutter, add cashews. Add fennel seeds.
- Saute for 30 seconds and add hing, curry leaves, and chopped green chilies.
- Saute for a while and add onion.
- Saute until the onion turns transparent.
- Add poha and mix well.
- If poha looks dry, sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of water at this stage.
- Cover the pan and cook poha on slow flame for 8 - 10 min.
- Turn off the flame. Gently mix.
- Add lemon juice, coriander leaves, and fried pe