Lauki Aloo ki Sabzi | Dudhi Bateta nu Shaak | Ghiya sabzi | Bottle Gourd Potato Curry Recipe
Lauki Aloo ki Sabzi is a very Indian curry made with bottle gourd, potato, and a few Indian spices.
Dudhi Bateta nu Shaak is a simple, super quick, and vegetarian recipe that I make on a day-to-day basis. It requires minimal cooking ingredients and tastes delicious.
I made this Lauki aloo ki sabzi in the pressure cooker. However, you can cook it in a pan too. Heat some oil and temper it with seeds and spices, add vegetable Lauki, tomato, potato, and seasoning ingredients, stir it, and pressure cook it.
Lauki is also known as Bottle gourd, Calabash, Opo Squash Dudhi, Doodhi, Sorakaya, or Ghiya. It is a summer vegetable but is available in the market throughout the year. It is versatile to use, has numerous nutritional benefits, and is very healthy for your body. It is low in calories, light on the stomach, and easy to digest. It is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It also helps to reduce kidney and liver inflammation.
Bottle gourd soup feed to people who are recovering from illness. We can give Bottle gourd puree to toddlers. Bottle gourd juice is helpful for people who want to shed their weight and control their diabetes.
Lauki is one of my favorite vegetables, and even my family likes it too. I prepare many recipes like Dudhi na Thepla, Dudhi Methi na Muthiya, Lauki ka Halwa, Dudhi Chana Dal nu Shaak, and Dudhi Kofta Sabzi. I add some pieces of Lauki in Pav bhaji and even while making Sambar.
If you are looking to use the bottle gourd in the morning breakfast, then I have posted Dudhi Thepla and Dudhi-methi Thepla, which is flat Indian bread made with bottle gourd and chopped fenugreek leaves.
- While adding water for cooking, please keep in mind that lauki releases enough water from it. Another thing we have added tomatoes as well. So don’t add too much water. Otherwise, you need to cook until the water gets evaporated, and your lauki aloo ki sabji will not taste good.
- You can also prepare this lauki aloo ki sabji in a pot or pan. It tastes good. The pressure cooker method is quick and easy.
- Before adding water, cooking lauki in oil is the golden secret of this recipe. This tip is from my grandmother’s treasure !!!
- Serve Lauki Aloo Sabzi hot/warm during Lunch or dinner meal with Phulka Roti, Bhakhri, Rotlo, Chapati, or Paratha.
- Some people like to eat it with plain boiled rice.
- You can carry it in your tiffin box along with roti.
Here is the video recipe of the Lauki Aloo ki Sabji :
You may also like some more Indian Curry Recipes :
- Aloo Bhindi | Bhinda Bataka Recipe | Okra Potato Stir Fry
- Cabbage Tomato Sabji
- Green Tomato Sabji ( Hare Tamatar ki Sabji )
Do not forget to check out more Lauki Recipes :
- Gujarati Muthiya | Lauki Muthiya Recipe
- Dudhi Thepla ( Lauki Thepla)
- Lauki Halwa ( Dudhi Halwa or Bottle Gourd halwa)
Do try this recipe and let me know how it turned in the comments section. If you like this recipe, give ratings in the recipe cars and share the Dudhi Batata nu Shaak recipe with your friends and family. Also, Rate the recipe card. Please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Subscribe to my YouTube channel, and Like my Facebook Page to catch my latest updates. Stay healthy and Safe. Happy Cooking!!!
Here is the recipe card of the Lauki Aloo ki Sabji :
- Lauki / Dudhi - 1 ( bottle ground or dudhi )
- Potatoes - 2
- Tomato - 1 - 2, chopped
- Green chili - 2, chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Garlic cloves - 6-8, minced
- Red chili powder - 1-2 tsp, as per taste
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp, as per taste
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Hing - a pinch, optional
- Oil - 2 - 3 tbsp
- Jaggery - 2 tbsp, optional
- Fresh coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped
- Water - 2-4 tbsp
- Wash the lauki or dudhi and potatoes. Peel them. Chop them into thin slices. Refer video for this. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pot.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds crackle, add hing, garlic cloves, green chilies, and curry leaves.
- Saute them for a while.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add chopped potatoes and lauki.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Cover the cooker or pot with a plate or lid.
- Cook on slow flame until lauki releases water.
- Add all dry masala except jaggery.
- Add 2 tbsp of water. Mix well. Close the cooker and cook till 4 whistles. Keep on simmer for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down completely. When pressure released, open the cooker.
- Add jaggery, and chopped coriander leaves. Gently mix the lauki aloo ki sabji.
- Serve hot lauki aloo ki sabji with roti, plain paratha or bhakhari.
You can also prepare this lauki aloo ki sabji in pot or pan. It also tastes good. The pressure cooker method is quick and easy.
Before adding water, cooking of lauki in oil is the golden secret of this recipe. This tip is from my grandmother’s treasure !!!