Meethi Chutney | Dates Tamarind Chutney | Imli Khajur Chutney | Indian Sweet and Sour Sauce
Meethi Chutney is spiced Sweet and Sour Sauce used in all types of Indian chaats, snacks, and appetizer recipes. It is brownish-red in color.
In Meethi Chutney, Tamarind, Dates, and Jaggery are the main ingredients. I have added some spices like garam masala, red chili powder, dry ginger powder, and cinnamon powder to enhance its flavor. You can add water according to the consistency you need for dipping or drizzling it.
Meethi Chutney is also known as Sweet chutney, Imli Khajur Chutney, Imli Ki Meethi Chutney, Sweet chaat chutney, Tamarind Sweet chutney, or Dates Tamarind Chutney.
The Tangy and Sour taste comes from Imli or Tamarind. The Sweet flavor of meethi chutney comes from Dates and Jaggery, which balances the tanginess of Tamarind. You can also use sugar if you do not have jaggery or dates at home. But, it is not a healthy option, and taste may vary too. You can also use black salt instead of regular salt.
This Khatti Meethi Chutney is:
- Sweet, sour, mildly spicy, tangy in taste
- Easy to store
- No added preservatives, artificial color, or flavors
It is always better to make Meethi Chutney at home instead of buying readymade packs from the store, which have artificial flavors, color, or preservatives in it, which makes it unhealthy to eat.
- All age group people, especially kids, like to eat this Imli Khajur Chutney.
- You can use this khatti meethi chutney as a Dipping sauce with snacks like Pakoda, Dabeli, Samosa, Kachori, Pattis, Tikki, Bhajji, Vadapav, Cutlet, Gota, etc.
- You can use it to Pour/mix/drizzle it over Chaats, Bhelpuri, Pani puri, Dahi vada, Sev Usal, Dahi puri, Sev puri, Sandwich, etc. dishes.
You can always make it in a large batch because it stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week and freezes it up to 6 months. Always refrigerate this Khatti Meethi Chutney in a glass jar/container. If you are freezing it, freeze in a freezer-safe container or pour it in ice cubes and freeze it. Once frozen, put/store it in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container in the freezer. Defrost the cubes as needed and enjoy.
Do try this Khatti Meethi Imli ki Chutney and let me know how you like to enjoy it in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then rate the recipe card and share it with your near and dear ones. Please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Subscribe my YouTube channel, and Like my Facebook Page to catch my latest updates.
Here is the video recipe of Meethi Chutney Recipe :
Do check out my recipes which goes well with this Dates Tamarind chutney :
You may also like some other chutney recipes :
Here is the recipe card of the meethi chutney recipe :
- Seedless dates - 500 gm
- Tamarind / Imli - ½ cup
- Water - 2-3 cup, as per need
- Jaggery - ¼ cup, as per taste
- Salt - as per taste
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 - 2 tbsp, as per taste
- Dry ginger powder - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder - ½ tsp
- Wash the dates and tamarind properly.
- In a steel pressure cooker, add washed dates and tamarind.
- Add 2 - 3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 4 - 5 whistles.
- Let it cool down.
- Release steam and open the cooker.
- Let the mixture down completely.
- Add water and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Place a colander and strain it.
- Add water to adjust consistency.
- Now add jaggery, salt, and all dry masala.
- Mix well and let it boil for 15 - 20 min.
- Stir it in between.
- Taste it and adjust the taste as per your liking.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Refrigerate it in a glass jar for a week.
- For longer shelf life freeze it in a freezer-safe container.