Moong Dal Dosa is a crispy instant Indian lentil crape made from ground whole green gram /moong beans batter along with spices like cumin seeds, ginger, green chili, black pepper powder, and salt. It is also known as Pesarattu or Pesara Dosa in Andhra Pradesh. Moong daal dosa is also known as Green Moong Daal Chilla or Green Gram Dosa.
Moong daal dosa is a very instant, quick, and simple recipe that requires minimum ingredients and no need for any fermentation of batter. But you have to soak moong dal properly in advance as pre-preparation. Then grind it into a thick dosa batter of pouring consistency, add spices, cook and serve.
Green Gram dosa is a healthy alternative to our regular dosa. Moong dal is high in protein, a good source of vitamins, dietary fibers, minerals like calcium, potassium, and folate. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, low in carb, and perfect for those who have thyroid, PCOS, and weight issues.
Just in case if you do not have green gram lentils at your home, you can try this with split gram lentils with the same recipe steps. You can also experiment with your culinary skills by adding your favorite ingredients like fresh curry leaves, onions, garlic, fresh coriander leaves, paneer, potato filling, etc. Some people add rice flour for the crispy texture of Moongdaal dosa.
Moong Dal Chilla/dosa or Pesaratto can be relish with Coconut chutney, green/red chutney, Tomato chutney/ketchup, homemade pickles, or sambar. Traditionally it is served with Rava Upma. Make sure you eat this dosa hot as soon as it is out of the pan to enjoy its crispiness else it will become soft with time. That’s why it can be the favorite dish for everyone. Your 1+ year toddler can also eat this dosa.
You can serve this green gram dosa in lunch, dinner, or evening snack. Generally, people eat during breakfast due to its high protein content. This Pesaratto is instant to make, versatile, delicious, healthy, and nutritional that we cant skip to make it again and again.
Let me know if you have any questions or have tried my this moong dal dosa or Pesaratto recipe in the comments section. Please follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterestcatch my latest updates.
You can also try other healthy breakfast recipes :
Here is the video recipe of how to make moong dal dosa or green moong dal chilla ?
- Moong bean / Green moong dal - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Green chili - 1 or 2 as per taste
- Salt - according to taste
- Black pepper powder - ¼ tsp or as per taste
- Cumin / Jeera - ½ tsp
- Oil for preparing dosa
- Coconut chutney for serving
- Wash the moong beans with lukewarm water for 2-3 times.
- Soak them in enough water for overnight or 6-8 hours.
- After 6 hours drain the water.
- Add them in a mixer jar along with green chili and ginger.
- Add water as required and grind it in a coarse paste.
- Transfer the batter in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, jeera, and black pepper powder according to taste.
- Give a nice mix. Adjust the quantity by adding water if required.
- Heat dosa tawa.
- Add a few drops of oil. Wipe it using a kitchen napkin.
- Pour a ladle of batter. Gently spread it in a circular motion.
- Let it cook on high flame for few seconds.
- Spread tsp of oil/ghee.
- Let it cook on medium flame until done.
- Gently flip dosa using a spatula.
- Cook the other side as well.
- Same way prepare all dosas. Can sprinkle some chopped onion for nice crunch while preparing dosas.
- Serve hot moong dal dosa with sambhar, coconut chutney, green chutney or chutney of your choice.