Oats Uttapam Recipe | Instant Oats Suji Uttapam | Oats Onion Uttapam
Are you getting bored of a regular Uttapam recipe? Then try our Instant Oats Suji Uttapam? Here I am sharing a simple and easy recipe. I hope you all will love this.
Oats Uttapam recipe includes a batter of oats with suji/semolina/Rava in yogurt and water. Apart from soaking the batter, it does not require any fermentation, grinding, or milling. Into the batter, I add added onion, salt, black pepper powder, green chili, and coriander leaves. Then I have pan-fried the 1-2 ladle full of batter and cook it using ghee/oil. Healthy Oats uttapam is ready.
If you are new to Indian Cuisine, then let me tell you that uttapam is a South India special savory pancake usually made rice and black lentil batter and cooked with various toppings. Uttapams and relatively easy to make and super healthy breakfast option. My Instant Oats Suji Onion Uttapam recipe is a variation to the traditional uttapam recipe.
- If you do not have sour curd, then use buttermilk instead of curd and water.
- Adjust the spiciness by altering the quantity of green chili according to your taste and liking.
- I have used oats of the Quaker brand, which was available at my local grocery store. You can use any brand of oats.
- It is advisable to eat oats uttapam- hot or warm to enjoy its crispiness. After some time, it may turn soggy due to moisture.
Variations for this Instant Oats Uttapam:
- Uttapam is always welcoming to different vegetables like shredded cabbage, carrots, beetroot, chopped capsicum, etc. as toppings while cooking. You can add any according to your liking.
- For some spice, you can also add South Indian special spiced lentil powder (also known as Andhra gun powder or Podi powder) while cooking.
- To increase the protein intake in your breakfast, I suggest you add a grated Panner or Tofu as toppings while cooking.
- For a Gluten-free option, you can add Rice flour, Ragi flour, or Gram flour instead of suji/semolina.
Click here to check my Rava Uttapam recipe.
- My Lil one likes all kinds of uttapam/chillas. When I was traveling to Banglore, my best friend prepared this delicious Oats Onion Uttapam for her. Then it became her favorite dish. She always asks me for one more every time :)
- Why should we include oats in our diet?
Oats are one of the healthiest grain on earth. It is a whole grain food known scientifically as Avena Sativa. It is called Jaee in Hindi.
Oats or oatmeal is always on top of the list when the question comes to our health.
Oats are a good source of soluble dietary fiber, iron, magnesium, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Comparatively, it has a high satiety value, making us feel full for a long time aiding in weight loss.
It reduces LDL cholesterol levels. Hence, Oats are great for people with high blood pressure and diabetes.
Here is the video recipe of Instant Oats Uttapam :
- Always serve Oats Suji Uttapam hot or warm.
- You can garnish it with some grated cheese on top.
- Relish this Instant Oats Uttapam recipe for breakfast, brunch, or even during meals.
- You can serve them with any coconut chutney, garlic chutney, pickle, podi, green chutney, tomato chutney, fresh homemade curd, or Sambar.
Here I am sharing a simple and easy recipe. Hope you all will love this. You can add finely chopped or grated vegetables of your choice. Garnish with some cheese and serve warm with chutney of your choice. If you have any questions, then please comment below. I would love to answer them. Share this with your family and friends and make sure you follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to catch my latest updates. Happy Cooking!!
You can also try our other quick recipes :
Here is a complete recipe card for Oats Onion Uttapam:
- Quaker oats – 1 ½ cup
- Suji / Rawa – ½ cup
- Curd – ½ cup
- Water – 1 ¼ - 1 ½ cup
- Onion – 2 chopped ( optional )
- Salt – 1 tsp or more
- Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Green chili – few chopped ( optional )
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup chopped
- Oil or Ghee
- Dry roast oats on slow flame. Continuously keep stirring and roast uniformly until lightly golden.
- Transfer into a bowl and let it cool down completely.
- In a mixing bowl add roasted oats, suji, and curd. Mix well.
- Add 1 ¼ cup of water and mix well.
- Add chopped onion, salt, black pepper powder, chopped chili and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- If required add more ¼ cup water. Make a thick smooth batter.
- Keep it aside for 15 – 30 min.
- After 30 min, mix well. Oats uttapam batter is ready now.
- Heat a dosa tawa / not stick pan.
- Pour ¼ tsp oil and wipe using kitchen napkin.
- When tawa is enough hot, pour the ladleful batter.
- Spread it evenly and prepare a thick uttapam.
- Spread oil or ghee on edges.
- Cover and cook for 1 -2 minutes. Flip over the uttapam.
- Cook for few more minutes.
- Plate it when cooked.
- Serve warm with coconut chutney, fresh curd or Tea.