Pani puri !! Gol Gappa !! Puchka !!
So many different names with different flavors and this is India’s popular street food. Everyone just relish it. We all have one special friend – pani puri / chaat time friend.
In every area of the city you will find thela who is selling delicious pani puris. But sometime hygiene is the concern. That’s why my mother is used to prepare mint flavored pani and chana – potato stuffing at home only.
So let’s learn how to make mint flavoured pani and chana – potato stuffing with my mom’s recipe :
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1-2 green chili ( roughly chopped )
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp pani puri masala
- 2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- Salt according to taste ( approx. ¼ tsp )
- 1 tsp black salt
- ½ tsp chat masala
- 4 - 5 cup water
- 1 tsp ginger ( optional )
- ½ cup salted boondies
- 1 cup black chana ( over night soaked )
- 3 cup water to boil chana
- 5 -6 small size potatoes ( boiled, peeled and mashed )
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1-2 green chili ( according to taste )
- 1 tbsp Pani puri masala
- 1 tsp Rock salt
- ¼ cup coriander ( fine
- 100 puri
- Instructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)Method to Make Pani :
Method to Make chana and Potato Stuffing :
- Combine mint, green chili, lemon and 2 tbsp water.
- Make a smooth paste.
- In a deep bowl add paste and all dry masala.
- Add water. Mix well.
- Serve chilled for perfect taste.
Assembling Pani Puri:
- Pressure cook chickpeas with water and salt for 6-7 whistles and simmer for 7-8 min.
- Cool it completely and drain boiled chana.
- Roughly mash boiled chana deep bowl. ( optional )
- Add mashed potatoes.
- Make a fine paste of min leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add green paste and all spices.
- Mix well.
NotesPrepare pani 5 - 6 hours in advance and refrigerate it.
- Crack the top of the puri with a spoon.
- Add 1-2 tsp prepared stuffing.
- Stir the green pani first and then add it and the sweet chutney as per your taste.
- Serve the pani puri immediately.
- You can also make individual portions with the puris, stuffing and the pani. Let the individual assemble the pani puri for himself/herself as per his/her taste.
My recipe is moderate in taste. You can add more chili,lemon and rock salt according to your requirement.
In stuffing if you want you can add red chili powder too.
Add salt whiling boiling chana and potatoes.