Batata Bhajiya Recipe | Potato Fritters Recipe
Batata Bhajiya Akka Potato Fritters is a deliciously easy recipe to make this monsoon. Bataka na Bhajiya is nicely golden and crisp on the outside, soft and warm on the inside.
Batata Bhajiya Akka Potato Fritters are quick and easy to make. Make a lump-free batter of gram flour. Season the batter as per the given recipe or add salt and pepper only. One by one dip the potato chips into the batter and fry them until they turn golden. Sprinkle the chat masala and serve this hot Batata Bhajiya with meethi chutney or green chutney, onion slices, fried green chilies, and adrak wali chai.
This Batata Bhajiya is often called bataka na bhajiya or bataka na pita na bhajiya in Gujarat. This bhajiya is very close to every Gujarati’s heart. Before french fries came into the market, this was our monsoon party snack. It is so simple yet yummy and loved by all aged people. As they are soft and mild in taste, you can offer a few Batata Bhajiya to your toddlers and old-aged people too.
Do you think fried food is not healthy? They are not. If made at home with the right choice of oil, they are healthy. Consume them in moderate quantities as an evening time snack or as a side meal. Which oil should we use for deep frying? Try to use filtered oil for deep frying if possible. If a big batch of bhajiya is fried then reusing it is not recommended.
If you are making this Batata Bhajiya for a party, with potatoes, make slices of onion, banana, tomatoes, etc. With the same batter, prepare a different variety of bhajiya and serve them as a Bhajiya Platter !!
Tips for making Batata Bhajiya at Home :
- Make thin and even slices of potatoes. Thick slices or uneven slices of potatoes may remain uncooked.
- Do not add soda more than a pinch. Excess soda will result in a bitter taste.
- Take oil according to the quantity of bhajiya you are planning to make.
- Use heavy iron or cast iron Kadai for deep frying. It will help in even frying, and oil will not burn.
- Try to fry on a constant moderate flame and fry until the bubbles almost disappear.
- While frying, flip them a couple of times.
Serving suggestions :
- Serve this Batata Bhajiya as an evening snack on rainy days or as a side dish with a weekend meal.
- Serve them with sliced onion, fried green chilis, meethi chutney, or green chutney.
- Adrak Wali chai or Indian tea with milk is the best companion of these Potato Fritters.
- Can offer this batata na bhajiya as a starter during kid’s playdates, small parties, or get to gatherings.
Here is the video recipe of the Batata Bhajiya Recipe :
You may also like to try other monsoon special recipes :
- Dal Vada | Gujarati Moong Dalwada
- Corn Empanadas | Corn Empanadas Recipe
- Bajra Vada Recipe | Pearl Millet fritters
- for more such recipes click here
So do try this Batata Bhajiya recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then please give ratings in the recipe card and share recipe with your folks. Please make sure you follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to catch my latest updates. Cheers!!!
Here is the recipe card of the Batata Bhajiya recipe :
- Potatoes - 2, medium size
- Oil for frying
- Chaat masala
- Besan / gram flour - 1 cup
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Carom seeds/ajwain - ¼ tsp
- While sesame seeds / til - 1- 2 tsp
- Hing - a pinch
- Cooking soda - a pinch
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp, according to taste
- Water - ¾ cup or more as per need
- Combine all ingredients of batter in a pan and make a pouring consistency batter.
- The batter should not be too thick, not runny.
- Wash the potatoes, peel them, and thinly slice them.
- Add them into a bowl of water and keep them aside.
- Heat oil till medium hot in a pan or Kadai for frying.
- Dip each potato slice into the batter and coat it evenly.
- Place the batter-coated slice gently in the hot oil.
- You can add potato slices according to the quantity of oil and size of Kadai.
- Fry them till golden and crisp.
- Place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Same way prepare all bhajiya.
- Sprinkle chat masala on Potato Fritters ( optional ).
- Serve the hot Batata Bhajiya with green chutney or meethi chutney and adrak wali chai.