What is your favourite pickle ??
My husband just loves the mango pickle prepared in north Indian style. Pickles are mother’s job. I never made any pickle. So this time I learned this special Punjabi mango pickle from one of my favourite neighbour who belongs to Punjab. This Punjabi style mango pickle turned out so well. My husband just fall in love with me again 😛 . So here I am presenting a perfect ( not sure !! I am a beginner ) spicy tangy Mango Pickle ( khatta meetha aam ka achar ) along with precise measurement and video recipe.
- 1 kg Raw mango ( Rajapuri or Achar Mango )
- 1 cup + ¼ cup mustard oil
- 100 gm ( 5 tbsp ) Salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 50 gm ( 3 tbsp ) fenugreek seeds ( methi dana )
- 50 gm ( 5 tbsp ) fennel seeds ( saunf )
- 40 gm ( 4 tbsp ) nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 20 gm ( 2 tbsp ) cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 20 gm ( 2 tbsp ) black pepper ( kala mari )
- 40 gm ( 4 – 5 tbsp ) red chili powder ( lal mirch powder )
- ½ tsp asafetida ( hing )
- Wash the pickle jar, dry it and keep it in sun light for 2 – 3 hours.
- Wash the mangoes and dry them using kitchen cloth.
- Chop them into cubes. Make sure your hands, knife and bowl should be dry. Mangoes should not come in contact with water or moisture.
- Now in a dry bowl take mango pieces. Add salt and turmeric.
- Mix well. All mango pieces should be covered with salt and turmeric.
- Add mango pieces in a clean and dry air tight container or jar.
- Place it into direct sunlight for 2 – 3 hours.
- Once mangoes get cooled down we will prepare the pickle.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and cumin to just remove moisture.
- Just before turning off the flame add black pepper.
- Allow them to cool down completely.
- Coarsely grind them in a mixer grinder. Do not make a fine powder.
- In a pan heat 1 cup oil. When it becomes lukewarm , turn off the flame.
- Allow it to cool down completely.
- Now in a dry mixing bowl, transfer mango pieces along with water.
- Add powdered spices, red chilli powder, nigella seeds and hing.
- Mix well.
- Add oil. Mix well.
- Transfer the prepared Punjabi mango pickle into a sterilized pickle jar.
- Press the pickle with the help of spoon. So oil will come up side.
- Close the lid and cover with kitchen cloth.
- After a day just cross check the pickle. If oil is absorbed by pickle then again heat remaining ¼ cup oil. When it cool down, just pour on pickle.
- No need to mix. Again close the lid and cover with kitchen cloth.
- Here your Punjabi mango pickle is ready to relish.
- You can use it immediately and you can enjoy it thorough out the year.
To sterilize the jar keep it under sunlight for 2 hours. Or you can microwave it.
If you buy chopped mangoes directly from the shopkeeper then clean the mango pieces with dry cloth.
Remove the skin of mango seed if you wants.
Throughout a year whenever you feel oil is totally absorbed by pickle then heat some oil and when cool down, pour on top of pickle.
This will help your pickle from fungus and your pickle will not be spoiled.
Store it at a room temperature in air tight pickle or glass jar.