Chikki is traditional winter sweet specially consume during Uttarayan and winter. This particular Chikki is made using peanuts which are nutritious and favorite among all age. Peanut chikki or Sing chikki is an easy to make and very addictive sweet. People in Gujarat enjoy eating Sing Chikki during festival of Uttrayan.
The important step in making this peanut brittle or chikki is the jaggery syrup consistency.
This chikki can be prepared with combination of nuts and coconut. You can also prepare the chikki with Til / sesame seeds or puffed rice.
- 1 cup peanut ( roasted, peeled and broken into half )
- ¾ cup jaggery ( mashed and tightly packed )
- 1 tsp ghee
- Dry roast the peanuts. Peel the skin and brake them into half with the help of your palm.
- Grease the marble and rolling pin with oil.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom based kadai or pan.
- Add jaggery.
- Cook on medium high flame for 2 min or till jaggery will become very light and fluffy.
- Cook on slow flame for 1 - 2 min till jaggery become dark brown in color. Continuously stir it.
- Add peanuts. Turn off flame. Quickly mix well.
- Pour this mixture on greased marble.
- Allow it to cool for 40-50 sec only.
- Apply some water on your palm and finger.
- Tap the mixture with hand to give round shape.
- Quickly roll it into thin and even surface.
- Immediately cut sing chikki into desire shape using pizza cutter or knife. ( preferred size : 5cm x 5cm )
- Either immediately spread this mixture into greased plate. Flat it with base of small bowl. Cut sing chikki into desire shape.
- Store the sing chikki into air tight container and enjoy during Uttarayan.