Spinach Paratha | Palak Paratha | Spinach whole wheat Indian Flatbread Recipe
Spinach or Palak Paratha is an unleavened Indian flatbread made with chopped spinach leaves, whole wheat flour, and spices. It is a very flavourful and delicious paratha recipe for breakfast.
In this recipe, I take a bowl and mix Whole wheat flour/atta, spinach, onion, green chili, coriander, cumin seed powder, carom seeds, crushed peppercorn, salt, and oil. Knead a soft dough using water. After it rests for a while, I divide the dough into small portions and roll it into a thick circle like a simple paratha recipe and then straight into tawa for roasting it on both sides. Here is the video recipe.
This Spinach Paratha doesn’t include any stuffing masala. It is similar to the Gujarati Methi Thepla recipe. It is a smart way to include green leafy spinach in our diet, where we preserve all nutrients.
Why is Spinach a Superfood?
Spinach leaves are very healthy and nutritious that we should include in our diet. It is rich in Iron, Minerals, Vitamins A, C, K, and magnesium.
It helps to
- Boosts immunity
- Balance blood pressure
- Prevent sun damage to the skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Improve eyesight
- Diabetes management
- Cancer prevention
- Better bones and muscle health
- Anti-aging benefits
- Regulate the digestive system
Therefore, spinach is a superfood. So make sure you include it in your diet.
You can always find spinach leaves in my pantry during winters. They are very fresh, inexpensive, and readily available in markets. I also sometimes make Palak Bhaji, Palak Paneer, and Daal Palak recipes from spinach leaves.
Here is the video recipe of the Spinach Paratha Recipe :
Serving and storage:
- Serve it hot or warm along with Curd, Raita, Indian Pickle, Chutney, and Papad on the side.
- It is the best and healthy option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- You can pack it for your tiffin and lunch boxes.
- It can pair with simple dal or curry.
- Palak Paratha stays fresh for a couple of days at room temperature.
Do try this delicious Palak Paratha recipe, and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then give ratings on the recipe card. Share this spinach paratha recipe with your friends and family.
Have a nice day!!
Here is the recipe card of the Spinach Paratha Recipe :
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup onion ( fine chopped )
- 2 tbsp jeera
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 3 tsp salt
- ½ cup coriander
- ½ tsp black pepper powder ( freshly crushed )
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3-4 green chili
- ¾ cup of water
- Oil for cooking
- Whole wheat flour for rolling
- Heat a small pan and dry roast the carom seeds and cumin seeds. Cool and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the flour, onions, spinach, coriander and green chilies, salt, pepper powder, oil, and prepared powder in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using little water.
- Divide the dough into 15-16 equal portions and roll out each portion into a circle of 15" diameter, using the flour for rolling.
- Heat a tava and cook each paratha, using little oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Serve hot palak paratha with curd or pickle of your choice.