Til Chikki | Sesame Jaggery Brittle | Healthy Sesame Crackers Recipe
As soon as Uttarayan (Kite Festival) is in the near corner, all the Gujarati ladies gear up with their aprons and prepare Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti special – Til Chikki, which is a sweet brittle that staple in our homes during winters.
In Til Chikki Recipe, dry roast the sesame seeds and keep aside. Cook Jaggery till syrup consistency reaches the hard-ball crack stage, and the color is dark brown for that perfect crisp. Add roasted till and mix well. Roll it on an oil greased surface and cut it into the desired shape.
Til Chikki is a Winter-Special traditional Indian Sweet Brittle made from Sesame and Jaggery. These are tasty, nutritious, and favorite among all ages. Til provides necessary warmth to our body during winter and protects us from cold and flu. It provides immunity to our body. I’m sure your family members and kids will love it.
The main thing in the Tal ni Chikki recipe is making the perfect jaggery syrup. Follow the recipe instructions carefully.
- If the jaggery syrup is less cooked, then chikki will be soft and chewy. It will stick to your teeth.
- If the jaggery syrup is overcooked, then chikki will become hard and might get a burnt taste.
- You can make Til laddoos from the same recipe by giving a ball shape.
- Some people like to add cardamom powder for flavor.
- You can use the same recipe for making Chikki with Black Sesame Seeds known as Kala Tal ni Chikki or Kale Til ki Chikki recipe.
- You can also use other ingredients like peanuts, almonds, and cashew for more variations of chikki.
- You can keep the thickness as per your preference.
This Chikki is also known as Til Gur Patti, Til Patti, Tilgul, Sesame Brittle, Tal ni Chikki, Tal Sakri, Tilachi Chikki, Til ki Chikki recipe. Some other similar sweets are Tilkut, TilKatri, Gajak, Tilouri, and Revdi recipe.
Chikki is prepared from Nuts/Seeds and Jaggery/Sugar syrup. You can use various nuts like Cashews, Pistachios, Almonds, Walnuts, Groundnut, Seeds like White Sesame, Black Sesame, Melon seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Coconut shreds, Rose Petals, Roasted Daliya Dal, and Puffed Rice.
I am sure you might have heard about the famous Lonavala Chikki, where local vendors sell different varieties of chikki.
I prefer to use Jaggery over sugar because it is unrefined and good for health. It regulates the blood sugar level as per Ayurveda. Use soft Jaggery, so it will be easy to mash/grate. I am using Desi Gor. It is organic, pure, and unrefined with no added chemicals.
Chikki is healthy, rich in protein, iron, and minerals. It is vegan, gluten-free, tasty, delicious, and a perfect sweet for Uttarayan. Chikki provides energy to our body during chilled winter days. I sometimes call it the Indian Energy Bar.
Every year during Uttarayan, I make Peanut Chikki (Shing Chikki), Sesame chikki (Til Chikki), and Murmura Ladoo. I purchase Sugarcane and Bor/Ber (Indian Jujube) fruit from the market. For Lunch, I make Undhiyu, Puri, Kadhi, Rice, Jalebi, and enjoy it with the whole family. We exchange our sweets and food items with our neighbors and relatives. It is so much fun.
Serving and Storage suggestions:
- Til ki Chikki recipe is one of the best winter snacks to munch on whenever you like.
- Enjoy this crispy Til Chikki while flying a kite.
- Store the Til Chikki into an air-tight container at room temperature. It stays fresh for up to a month.
Here is the video recipe of the Til Chikki Recipe :
You may also like more Uttarayan Special Recipes :
- Sing Chikki ( Peanut Chikki or Peanut Crackers)
- Mamra Ladoo or Mamra Chikki ( Puffed Rice Balls )
- Instant Jalebi Recipe | Crispy Jalebi in 5 min Recipe
- Puri | Locha Puri | Aata Puri Recipe
Do try this crispy Til Chikki recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then make, eat, share it with your family and friends as I do. Rate the recipe card. Please make sure you follow me on Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to my YouTube channel, and Like my Facebook page to catch my latest recipes and updates. Happy Cooking!!! Happy Makarsankranti!
Here is the recipe card of the Til Chikki Recipe :
- 1 cup sesame seeds ( til )( roasted)
- ¾ cup jaggery ( mashed and tightly packed )
- 1 tsp ghee
- Dry roast the sesame seeds ( til ).
- Grease the marble and rolling pin with oil.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom based Kadai or pan.
- Add jaggery.
- Cook on medium-high flame for 2 min or till jaggery becomes very light and fluffy.
- Cook on a slow flame for 1 - 2 min or till jaggery becomes dark brown in color. Continuously stir it.
- Add til. Turn off flame. Quickly mix well.
- Pour this mixture on greased marble.
- Allow it to cool for 40-50 sec only.
- Apply some water to your palm and finger.
- Tap the mixture with a hand to give a round shape.
- Quickly roll it into a thin and even surface.
- Immediately cut til chikki into the desired shape using a pizza cutter or knife. ( preferred size : 5cm x 5cm )
- Store til chikki into an airtight container and enjoy this crispy til chikki while kite flying.