Tomato Onion Chutney Recipe | South Indian Red Chutney Recipe
Chutney is a spicy, sweet, or savory condiment popular and originating in India. It is a kind of Dipping Sauce with smooth, chunky, or coarse textures. Chutney/Chatni comes from the word Chatna which means To Lick. Every household has its way of making it from fresh fruits, veggies, herbs, sugar, and spices.
Here, In this recipe of tomato onion chutney, Onion and Tomato are the main ingredients. In a pan, we add mustard seeds, peanuts, dry red chili, curry leaves, onion, and tomato and cook them until soft and mushy. Then we add turmeric powder, tamarind, and coconut and cook it for some time, and allow it to cool. We will grind all into a smooth paste and add a tempering of oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, and hing to enhance all flavor.
This recipe is easy and tastes yummy. It is tangy and spicy, which typically helps in balancing the flavors of any dish.
- Use Fresh Ingredients for the best flavor.
- If you are allergic to peanuts, then alternatively, you can also use Daliya Dal ( aka Roasted Chana Dal).
- Adjust the spice level and taste according to your preference.
- Skip adding tamarind if the tomatoes you are using are Sour and Tangy.
This Red Chutney recipe is:
- Gluten-Free (Skip adding Asafoetida in the recipe)
- It goes well with all the South Indian dishes like Suji Appe, Rava Uttapam, Oats Onion Uttapam, Idli, Dosa, Moong Dal Dosa, and many more.
- You can also enjoy this chutney as a side dish with your meal.
- This chutney goes well with Sandwich, Bread, Toast, chapati, Paratha, like Indian bread.
You can store this chutney in a refrigerator for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze this chutney for up to 1-2 months and use it accordingly.
You may also like some other chutney recipes :
- Coconut Chutney
- Spicy Red Garlic Chutney | Rajasthani Lahsun ki Chutney
- Coriander Chutney ( Green Chutney )
Do not forget to check other healthy south Indian breakfast recipes :
- Suji Appe | Instant Rava Appe Recipe
- Rava Uttapam | Instant Suji Uttapam
- Moong Dal Dosa | Green Moong Dal Chilla | Pesarattu
- Oats Uttapam | Instant Oats Suji Uttapam | Oats Onion Uttapam
- Vegetable Idli
Here is the video recipe of Tomato Onion Chutney :
Do try this easy tomato onion chutney recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then rate the recipe card and share it with your friends and family. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube to catch my latest updates. Thank You!
Here is the complete recipe card of the Tomato Onion Chutney Recipe :
- Tomatoes - 2-3, chopped
- Onion - 1, chopped
- Dry red chili - 2-4, as per liking
- Peanuts - ¼ cup, optional
- Tamarind - 1 small piece
- Fresh coconut - ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp, optional
- Salt - ½ tsp, as per taste
- For tampering :
- Oil/Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
- Hing - a pinch
- In a pan, add oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When they start to splutter, add peanuts, dry red chili, and curry leaves.
- Fry until peanuts are cooked.
- Add chopped onion.
- Cook until onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well. Cover and cook until tomatoes turn soft and mashy.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, tamarind, and chopped coconut.
- Cook for a min or so.
- Turn off the flame.
- Let it cool down.
- When cooled down completely, grind it and make a thick chutney.
- Do not add water while grinding in a mixer.
- In a tadka pan add oil / ghee.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add hing a pinch.
- Pour the tadka on chutney.
- Serve the fresh tomato onion chutney along with Suji Appe, Rava Uttapam, Oats onion uttapam, Idli, dosa, Moong dal dosa, etc.