Undhiyu Recipe | Traditional Gujarati Undhiyu Recipe | Gujarati Winter special Mix Vegetable Casserole Recipe
Undhiyu is a Classic Winter Special (Seasonal) Gujarati Mixed Vegetable Dish. It is a vegetable casserole with fenugreek dumplings cooked in an aromatic blend of numerous spices and herbs. The recipe that I am sharing with you is called Undhiyu.
This Undhiyu recipe is always a treat for all Gujarati people. It is full of various textures and flavors. Here, the big veggies are cut into big chunks and deep-fried before cooked in sweet-spicy-tangy masala. It is a unique and tasty dish.
In Undhiyu Recipe,
- I prepare Methi Muthiya(Fenugreek dumplings or fritters). I make a stiff dough from fenugreek leaves, coarse whole wheat flour, gram flour, sesame seeds, carom seeds, sugar, lemon juice, green chili, green garlic, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, oil, and water. Divide the dough into equal portions and give it an oval shape. Deep-fry them until golden brown and keep them aside.
- Then I will prepare the veggies. I will cut the Potato, Sweet Potato, purple yam into big chunks and deep fry them. Stuff the brinjal with muthiya stuffing.
- Now In a heavy bottom base cooker/Kadai, do a tempering in oil with sesame seeds, turmeric powder, hing, green garlic, and saute. Add stuffed brinjal, green tuver, surti papdi, dana, and valor. Season it with salt. Once cooked, add tomato- cook again and all dry masala-turmeric powder, red chili powder, red chili powder, coriander powder Undhiyu Masala. Add fried vegetables, muthiya, and simmer for about 10-12 min. Garnish with coriander and desiccated coconut.
Here the term Undhiyu comes from the Gujarati word Undhu which means Upside Down. Traditionally it was cooked upside down in a fire pit dug fired from above in earthen clay pots (Matlu/Malta). It gives an earthy-rustic taste.
- To avoid fried vegetables, you can add potatoes and sweet potatoes with beans.
- You can pressure cook beans for one whistle to speed up the procedure.
- You can skip the stuffing of brinjals. Chop them in cubes and add.
- Do not Skip Methi Muthiya- It is the heart of the Dish.
- For Authentic taste- Say No to Shortcuts, No compromise on oil, Use fresh Ingredients, Don’t skip methi muthiya, and stick to recipe ingredients and method. Let me know if you have any questions.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
Various types of Undhiyu which are famous:
- Surti Undhiyu or Green Undhiyu
- Valsad Undhiyu is popularly known as Matla Undhiyu, Ubadiyu, or Umbadiyu.
- Jain Undhiyu skip adding Garlic, root vegetables. Substitute it with Jain Masala, Raw Banana, and other vegetables.
Undhiyu recipe is similar to the Marathi dish Bhogichi Bhaji Kerala special dish Avial, Bengal special Shukto, or French cuisine special dish Ratatouille.
Undhiyu dish needs lots of time, patience, and preparation, but all the efforts are worth it.
My mother makes delicious Undhiyu. She cooks Undhiyu- especially on Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti as the Lunch menu. It is a seasonal dish, and the vegetables that we are using are seasonally available only during winters. It is always made in large batches because it comprises various small elements. She makes Undhiyu 3-4 times in the winter season for Sunday-special lunch. I learned about Undhiyu from her. I love the way the recipes pass from one generation to the next generation.
Every year during Uttarayan, I make Undhiyu, Puri, and Jalebi, and enjoy them with the whole family. For snacks, I make Peanut Chikki (Shing Chikki), Sesame chikki (Til Chikki), and Murmura Ladoo. I like to share our sweets and food items with neighbors and relatives.
Gujjus prepare Undhiyu for special occasions, weddings, and family-get-togethers. People living in urban areas organize Undhiyu parties on nearby farms to experience the village lifestyle and enjoy meeting each other, playing games, and playing Garba. It is so much fun.
Serving and Storage:
- Undhiyu is typically-served with soft fluffy Puri (Fried Indian bread) with a bowl of Gajar Halwa/Jalebi. It is the perfect combination. Serve Masala Chaas, Pickle, Papad, and Kachumber on the side.
- You can also relish this best Undhiyu recipe with Roti, Paratha, chapati, phulka, plain steamed rice, or jeera rice.
- It stays fresh in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Here is the video recipe of the Undhiyu Recipe :
You may also like more Uttarayan / Makarsankrati special Recipes :
- Gajar Ka Halwa | Carrot Halwa Recipe
- Instant Jalebi Recipe | Crispy Jalebi in 5 min Recipe
- Sing Chikki | Peanut Chikki | Groundnut Brittle Recipe
- Til Chikki Recipe| Sesame Jaggery Brittle
- Puri | Locha Puri | Aata Puri Recipe
Do try this finger-licking Undhiyu Recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then make, eat, and share it with your family and friends as I do. Rate the recipe card.
Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, and Pinterest to catch my latest updates and new recipes.
Here is the recipe card of the Undhiyu Recipe :
- Potatoes - 1 cup / 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Sweet potato - 1 cup / 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Purple yam - 1 cup / 1 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Small brinjal / Ravaiya - 6- 7
- Tomatoes - 6 - 7 chopped
- Green tuvar / Green pigeon pee - ¾ - 1 cup
- Surti papdi, dana papdi, valor - ¾ cup
- Green garlic - ¾ - 1 cup, chopped with greens, optional
- Oil - ½ cup
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Asafetida ( hing )- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder ( haldi ) - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ( lal mirch ) - 1 tbsp, as per taste
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Undhiyu special garam masala - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Coriander - ½ cup, chopped
- Desiccated coconut for garnishing
- Water - ½ - 1 cup
- Oil for frying
- For methi muthiya ( gatta )
Fenugreek leaves/ methi )- ¾ cup, chopped
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Carom seeds ( ajwain ) - ½ tsp
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Lemon - 1 or more, as per taste
- Whole wheat flour ( kakro lot / mota aata ) / Sooji - 1tbsp
- Besan - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp, as per taste
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp, as per taste
- Green chili - 1, chopped
- Green garlic - ¼ cup, optional
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Water - 2 tbsp or more, as per need
- Oil for frying
- For methi muthiya ( gatta )
- Mix all ingredients.
- Stuff the brinjals with the same dry flour mixture.
- Adding a tbsp of water at a time makes a stiff dough.
- Grease your hands and make small oval-shaped dumplings. ( approx. 15 no )
- Deep fry them on a medium flame until they get a nice crunch and crust.
- Keep them aside.
- For undhiyu :
- Deep fry potato, sweet potato, and purple yam in the same oil. Keep them aside.
- While peeling purple yam, wear kitchen gloves or grease your hands using ghee to avoid itching.
- Remove stem and cut them in cross until ¾th length. Stuff the brinjal with stuffing prepared for methi muthiya. Refer to the video recipe.
- Heat ½ cup oil ( You can use the same oil ) in a heavy bottom based pan or Kadai.
- Add sesame seed ( til ).
- When they crackle add turmeric powder, thing, and green garlic.
- Saute for 1-2 min.
- Add stuffed brinjal, green tuvar, and all kinds of papdi.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid. And cook for 10 - 15 minutes.
- When all beans get cooked completely add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Cook until oil gets released from the sides.
- Add all dry masala. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook until oil gets separated.
- Add all fried vegetables.
- Crush 2-3 muthiya with fingers and add them.
- Add rest muthiya.
- Mix well.
- Add ½ cup - 1 cup of water. Add salt as per need.
- Cover the pan and cook on a slow flame for 15 minutes.
- Stir in between, if required add more water to reach the desired consistency.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Add more lemon juice if required.
- Garnish with desiccated coconut and Serve hot with puri and jalebi or gajar ka halwa.
You can pressure cook beans for 1 whistle to speed up the procedure.
You can skip the stuffing of brinjals. Chop them in cubes and add.