Vada Pav / Wada Pav / Vada Pao … whatever you call but just the name is enough to bring hunger for it. Vada pav is Mumbai’s very own road side snack is often linked to an indian -style burger. . While a vada pav does resemble a burger in the way it’s assembled, a well-made vada pav couldn’t be more different in taste to a burger. Its quite filling and easily available across India. They are hot favorite of college students, school kids, working class. It gives me immense pleasure to share this Mumbai Special Recipe !!!
Vada Pav / Wada Pav / Vada Pao ... whatever you call but just the name is enough to bring hunger for it. Vada pav is Mumbai's very own road side snack is often linked to an indian -style burger.
Author: Zeel Patel
Recipe type: Street Food
Serves: 15 nos
- 15 – 16 bun
- Oil for roasting
- Dry garlic chutney ( Combine garlic and red chili powder and grind them )
For Batata Vada Stuffing :
- 7 – 8 medium size potatoes ( boiled, peeled and mashed )
- 2 – 3 green chilies ( fine chopped )
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves ( make a paste )
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustered seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- Oil for frying
For Batter :
- ¾ cup besan / gram flour
- ½ cup water or as required
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of cooking soda
Instructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asofetedia.
- Add green chilies. Sauté for a while. Add garlic paste.
- Saute for half of minute. Add turmeric powder.
- Add mashed potatoes. Add salt. Mix well.
- Keep on simmer for 4 -5 minutes.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Divide it into 15 – 16 equal size portions. Make ball of them.
- In one pot combine all the ingredients of batter.
- Whisk well and make a smooth batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Deep each ball in prepared batter and deep fry till get golden colored outer layer.
- Cut bun into half. Do not separate them. Do not cut them from second side edges.
- Now heat tawa. Put 1 tsp oil. Add ¼ tsp dry garlic chutney.
- Put inner side of both layer of bun on it and roast the bun from inner side.
- Flip the bun. Add one vada. Cover it with top layer. Gently press it.
- Grease with oil and roast again on tawa for crispy crust.
- Serve hot vada pav with green chutney and tomato ketchup.