Variyali Sharbat | Saunf Sharbat | Fennel Seeds Drink
Summer is around, and the sun is shining bright in the sky!! This time we are here with one traditional summer special drink – Variyali Sharat / Saunf Sharbat / Fennel Seeds Drink to heat the beat.
Variyali Sharbat is a summer special cooler recipe that requires a minimum of ingredients and procedure. We need to sock variyali, aka saunf, overnight in a clay vessel with misri and black raisins in water. In the morning, smash with hands, strain it and have it first thing in the morning to get all its benefits.
Saunf Sharbat is one of the best cooling drinks for hot sunny days. Fennel seeds are rich in cooling properties. The best way to get all the benefits of fennel seeds is by steeping them for few hours or overnight. Even throughout the year, munching of saunf after every meal is advisable for better digestion.
Fennel seeds are known as Saunf in Hindi, variyali in Gujarati, Sompu in Telugu, Mauri in Bengali, and many more regional names. As Variyali has a rich aroma and soothing flavor, so many Indian traditional recipes have fennel seeds as a special ingredient. Saunf is also an essential ingredient of Pickles. Whenever this summer you are making mango pickles, do not forget to add saunf. Click here for the mango pickle recipe. We love to add them in poha, handvo, bajra vada, malpua, etc.
In Gujarat, around the winter, we are getting fresh green saunf. We love to enjoy them as seasonal produce. Rest of the year, we consume as a sharbat or mouth freshener.
Benefits of Variyali / Saunf / Fennel Seeds :
- Own aromatic essence and antibacterial properties
- Freshen your breath
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibers
- Improves digestion and relieves constipation
- Best cooling ingredient to reduce body heat
- To make Variyali Sharbat extra refreshing, just before serving, squeeze lemon according to taste.
- You can add regular sugar if running out of misri/ rock sugar.
- To make it more colorful, add some chopped mint leaves while serving.
- You can substitute sugar with jaggery or honey
Servings Suggestions :
- Serve saunf sharbat in the morning, mid-morning, or evening during sunny days.
- Consume them daily to beat the heat.
- Serve fresh or store in a refrigerator for a couple of days.
Here is the video recipe of the Variyali Sharbat Recipe :
You may also like to try Summer Special Recipes :
- Aam Panna
- Sugar-free Muskmelon Banana Smoothie | Muskmelon Banana Lassi
- Raw Mango Curry
- For more such recipes click here.
Do try this traditional summer special fennel seeds drink, and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this Variyali Sharbat recipe, then share it with your friends and family and rate the recipe card. Don’t forget to follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to catch my latest updates. Stay healthy and Safe. Happy Cooking!!!
Here is the complete recipe card of the Variyali Sharbat Recipe :
- Variyali/Saunf/Fennel Seeds - 2 tbsp
- Rock Sugar/Misri/Regular Sugar - 3-4 tbsp, as per taste
- Water - 4 cups
- Black Raisins - 1 tbsp, optional
- Take 2 tbsp of variyali and hand pound it or crush it for 1 sec on whip mode using mixer grinder.
- In a bowl, add pounded variyali, rock sugar, or regular sugar and of water.
- You can also add black raisins while soaking fennel seeds.
- If using black raisins in this recipe, then decrease the sugar quantity.
- Mix everything and soak it overnight or 4-5 hours.
- Once soaked nicely, mash the raisins if added.
- Strain the Variyali Sharbat. Squeeze soaked variyali well to get all its flavor.
- If you prefer to have this Saunf Sharbat chilled, then during soaking, keep it in the refrigerator.
- Serve refreshing Variyali Sharbat during hot summer days.
You can add regular sugar if running out of misri/ rock sugar.
To make it more colorful, add some chopped mint leaves while serving.
You can substitute sugar with jaggery or honey.