Vegetable khichdi is a nutritious, filling, light and comfort food prepared from rice, dal and vegetables. Try vegetable khichdi for dinner and feel its lightness.
Vegetable khichdi is a nutritious, filling, light and comfort food prepared from rice, dal and vegetables.
Author: Zeel Patel
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 - 5
- 1 cup rice
- 5 cup water
- ½ cup all mix pulses ( dal )
- 3 – 4 small green brinjal
- 1 large onion ( fine chopped )
- 1 large potato ( small pieces )
- 2 tbsp french beans ( fine chopped )
- 2 tbsp green peas
- ¼ cup cauliflower
- 1 medium capsicum
- 2 green chili ( fine chopped )
- 2 dry red chili
- 1 tbsp fine chopped garlic
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 whole black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 pinch hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Salt according to taste
Instructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)
- Soak pulses ( dal )and rice with water for 30 min.
- Heat oil and ghee in pressure cooker.
- Add mustard seeds and when they splutter/crackle add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds splutter add asafoetida ( hing ) and curry leaves.
- Add all mentioned whole spices and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Add onion – sauté it for 2 min.
- Add potato – sauté it for 2 min.
- Add all vegetables.
- Add dry chili powder, coriander powder, salt, garam masala.
- Sauté it for 2 min.
- Add rice and dal with water.
- Allow it to whistle for 4 times.
- Cook it on slow flame for 5 min.
- Serve hot with ghee, spring onion, coriander and curd.