Love cookies? What if I tell you that this cookie has Indian flavors and health too? Yes!! You guessed it right … It’s delicious whole wheat Nankhatai / Aata Nankhatai. It is a typical eggless Indian sweet cookie traditionally made using basic kitchen ingredients like all-purpose flour, sugar, ghee, and cardamom or nutmeg. Previously, it was prepared during festivals or any special occasions.
Today I will be sharing with you a healthier version of Nankhatai using whole wheat flour so that you can definitely add this recipe in your daily munching menu. This is a very easy recipe that you can make whenever you feel to satisfy your sugar craving.
Fill up your cookie jar with this eggless whole wheat Nankhatai that is not only classic but undoubtedly satisfying too. So do try this whole wheat Nankhatai recipe on this mother’s day 2020 for your lovely mother and let me know how it turned out to be 🙂
- Whole wheat flour / aata – ½ cup tightly packed
- Ghee – ¼ cup
- Powdered sugar – ¼ cup
- Gram flour / Besan – 1 tbsp
- Milk powder – 1 tbsp
- Baking powder – ⅛ tsp
- Cooking soda – a pinch
- Fine suji – 1 tbsp ( optional )
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Almond or pistachio flakes for garnishing
- Measure all the ingredients and keep it aside.
- Ghee should be at room temperature. Do not melt it.
- Sieve whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda, besan, fine suji, cardamom powder, and milk powder.
- In a mixing bowl, cream ghee and powdered sugar till fluffy.
- You can use a hand whisk or food processor too.
- Now mix all the dry ingredients and gently make a tight dough.
- Do not over knead.
- Pinch out medium size 10 - 12 balls.
- Flatten them and arrange them into a baking tray.
- While arranging, leave enough space between two cookies.
- Garnish with some almond or pistachio flakes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 170 degrees for 10 min.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for 15 – 20 min till the bottom turns brown.
- As time varies oven to oven so keep an eye after 12 – 13 min.
- Once done, transfer them on a wire rack.
- When cooled down completely, store them into an airtight container.
- Our delicious and healthy whole wheat Nankhatai is ready to be enjoyed with hot tea or coffee. Happy cooking!!
- In convection mode of microwave bake for 15 – 17 min.
- Remove the whistle and gasket from the lid of the cooker.
- Place the cooker on the gas.
- Spread one bowl of salt. Close the cooker (without gasket and whistle ). Preheat it on the high flame for 10 min
- Place the tray or idli maker into the preheated cooker.
- While baking in idli baker - leave bottom tray empty. After 10 - 12 minutes rearrange the trays for even baking.
- Bake on a slow flame for 15 - 20 min or till baked completely.
If the dough is too tight add 1 tsp ghee/milk at a time.
If the dough is too soft then add 1 tbsp flour at a time.
Measure the quantity perfectly and make notes for reference in the future.