Sabudana khichadi is widely eaten throughout the year in India. It is one of superfood of India.Sabudana khichdi is usually made during fasting days like Navratri, Mahashivratri, Ekadashi. It is easy to cook but requires a little experience to get the perfect texture.
If you are new to cook this dish, need to remember 3 things :
- Soak sabudana at least for 4 hours.
- Drain excess water and never add water while cooking.
- Cook in an open pan. Don’t close lid while cooking sabudana.
Sabudana is known as Sago, kasawa, and tapioca. It looks like little white pearls and is starch extracted from roots. Sabudana helps to strengthen bones and is one of the most powerful vegan sources of protein. It can be part of your baby’s food too. If babies are suffering from Loose motions or Diarrhea- Sabudana Kheer will do wonders for them. You can read more about in detail. click here.
You can try our other recipes for fast :
Please refer complete recipe card for Sabudana Khichadi :
- Sabudana / Sago / Pearl tapioca - 1 cup
- Water - ¾ cup or according to need
- Roasted or fried peanuts - ½ cup
- Potatoes - 1 or more, chopped ( optional )
- Green chili - 1 or more, chopped
- Curry leaves - 5 -6
- Oil / Ghee - 2-3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Sugar - 3 tbsp, according to taste ( optional )
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp, according to taste
- Salt - 1 tsp, according to taste
- Coriander leaves - ¼ cup, chopped
- Pomegranate seeds or mint leaves or farali chewda for garnishing
- Wash the sabudana properly under running water. Drain excess water.
- In a bowl add washed sabudana. Add ¾ cup water and soak them for 4-5 hours.
- While adding water make sure that water and sabudana should be at the same level. Do not add extra water.
- Before 1 hour of cooking, if there is excess water strain them and spread them on cotton cloth. Cover them with a soft cotton cloth. Another way, you can transfer them into a strainer and keep it on top of the pan to drian excess water.
- Take roasted peanuts in a bowl. Rub between your palms to peel off the chilka ( skin ).
- Separate peanuts from their chilka and coarsely grind them in mixer on pulse mode. Dont powder them.
- Mix them with the soaked sabudana and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom based pan.
- Add cumin seeds. When they crackle add turmeric ( optional )
- Add chopped potatoes and sprinkle some salt.
- Cover the pan and cook till potatoes get cooked.
- Add green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add sabudana and salt. Mix well.
- Cook for 10 min. Mix in between. Do not close the lid.
- Add sugar and mix well. Cook till sabudana gets cooked.
- Turn of the flame.
- Add lemon juice and coriander.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, fired peanuts or potato chiwda.
- Serve warm with fresh curd.
Sabudana should not contain water, so try to remove access water from that properly.
You can add fried peanuts also.
You can also replace green chilies with red chili powder.
You can add turmeric powder too.
Replace regular salt with sendha salt during fasting.