Naan is the most common and famous flatbread that is served in most Indian restaurants. Naan is a tandoor recipe, which bakes it evenly and gives a smokey aroma.
Naan is made using maida and yeast, I changed my traditional recipe to whole wheat flour and it turned out equally soft and fluffy. Due to a shortage of yeast, I added baking powder and soda. I prepared naan on our regular iron tawa. For a visual demonstration, check my video recipe.
In this lockdown whenever you prepare any North Indian style curry, you must try my whole wheat naan recipe. I made palak paneer along with that. I will post the recipe for the same soon.
You can also try our other Parathas recipes :
- Whole wheat flour - aata - 1 ½ cup
- Sooji - 1 tbsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Cooking soda - ¼ tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Fresh curd - ¼ cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Water - ⅓ to ½ cup or more
- In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour.
- Add suji, baking powder, and cooking soda, salt and sugar.
- Mix well the flour using whisker or hand.
- Add curd and mix well with flour.
- Add oil and again give a nice mix.
- Now add water gradually and knead soft and smooth dough.
- I required more than ⅓ cup of water. Quantity of water will vary based on the wheat flour.
- First, make a little tight dough then add water and make a soft dough.
- The dough should not be stiff and very sticky.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil.
- Cover the dough with wet kitchen napkin or muslin cloth.
- Give the rest of 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, knead the dough for 1 min.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll them into the desired shape and apply water on the upper side of naan.
- Meanwhile heat the iron tawa ( Big no to non-stick tawa ) on medium heat, to check if tawa is ready to sprinkle the few drops of water on tawa, water should sizzle.
- Put water side naan over tawa, once the naan starts bubbling, turn the tawa over flames keeping about 1 -2 inch away from the flames to cook the naan from the top.
- Once naan nicely browned, remove, and spread the ghee or butter over. Here your whole wheat Naan is ready!