Masoor Dal Recipe is an addition to my dal recipes which is often made in Indian homes. In this dal recipe is made from masoor dal or pink lentils, as like other dal recipes this masoor dal recipe is also easy and quick to prepare. As lentils are important source of proteins, it is good practice to include dal in your everyday meal.
I suggest to try out different dal recipes every week in rotation.
Masoor dal goes well with roti, plain paratha, and plain as well as flavored rice.
Learn how to make simple masoor dal with this step by step recipe.
Step-byStep Masoor Dal Recipe :
Step 7 : While you are boiling the dal, fine chop the onion, tomatoes and green chilies. Make a paste of garlic and ginger in mortar-pastel. Keep them aside.
Step 17 : Add fine chopped corianders. Mix well.
- ¾ cup masoor dal or pink lentils
- 3 cup water
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt according to taste ( approx. 1 tsp )
- 2 med size onion ( fine chopped )
- 2 med size tomatoes ( fine chopped )
- 2 green chilies ( fine chopped )
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 6 – 8 curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt according to taste
- Coriander levaes ( fine chopped )
- Wash the masoor dal or pink lentils properly. Soak them for 30 minutes. If you don’t have time then you can also cook without soaking.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker or pot add soaked masoor dal, turmeric powder, salt and water.
- Pressure cook the dal for 3 whistles or till it cooked completely. You can cook it in pot also. If you are cooking in pot then soak the dal if possible.
- Allow it to cool down completely. Open the cooked and check whether masoor dal is cooked or not.
- Roughly mash the dal with wooden spoon. Keep it aside.
- While you are boiling the dal, fine chop the onion, tomatoes and green chilies. Make a paste of garlic and ginger in mortar-pastel. Keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan or pot.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds get brown in color, add bay leaf and dry red chilies.
- Saute for few seconds. Add hing ( asafetida ), green chili, curry leaves and fine chopped onion.
- When onion get light pink in color, add ginger- garlic paste.
- Saute till raw aroma of garlic and ginger goes away. Add tomato and all dry spices.
- Mix well and cook till oil get separates from gravy.
- Mix the prepared gravy with mashed masoor dal.
- Cook the masoor dal till dal get medium thick consistency.
- Add fine chopped corianders. Mix well.
- Serve hot masoor dal withsteamed rice and roasted papad or pickle of your chice.