Gajar ka halwa or Carrot halwa is an ultimate Indian dessert ever. It is a popular dessert made across India for all the festival celebrations like Diwali, Sankranti, Holi and for family celebrations as well. Here I have used red carrots to make the halwa as they are tender, juicy and easy to grate.
Studded with chopped nuts and flavored with aromatic cardamom, this sweet Indian pudding is made from a blend of nutty ghee, milk, sugar, and grated carrot. Carrots acquire rich taste when cooked in milk. It is delight to have hot gajar ka halwa during the winter months.
You can also store gajar halwa in refrigerator for almost a week. Just warm the gajar halwa before you serve.
You can also serve warm gajar ka halwa with scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can learn how to make perfect gajar ka halwa at home with help of above mentioned video recipe.
- 4 to 5 cup Gajar / Carrot ( approx. 1 kg Juicy Red Carrot, Peeled and Grated )
- 4 cup full fat milk
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar ( according to taste )
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder ( elichi )
- ¼ cup dry fruits ( cashew, almonds and pistachio roughly chopped )
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 2 tbsp soaked saffron water
- Rinse the carrot properly. Peel and grate the carrots.
- In a deep heavy bottomed pan or kadai combine milk and grated carrots.
- On a low to medium flame, bring the whole mixture to a boil.
- Then cook it on slow flame. ( appx. 40 – 45 min ).
- While the mixture is simmering on a low flame, keep on stirring in between.
- When mixture start to get thick add ghee, sugar ( according to your taste ) and cardamom powder, nuts and raisins, soaked saffron water.
- Stir well and cook on low flame only. Keep stirring in between.
- Simmer till all the milk is evaporated. Turn off the flame.
- Serve gajar halwa hot, warm or you can also serve it cold.