Suji ka Halwa is an Indian traditional sweet dish. It is also known by various names like Suji Halwa in North India, Rava Kesari in South India, Rava Sheera in Western India, and Semolina Pudding in Europe & the USA.
I remember that this Sheera tastes more delicious when prepared by my grandma. So the recipe today I am sharing is straight from my grandma’s recipe treasure box (the magic lies in the milk, ratio of ingredients, and roasting of suji). This Sheera is very easy and quick to prepare using basic kitchen ingredients like semolina, ghee, sugar, cardamom, and milk/water. It has a very soft texture while the nuts in it add a nice crunch to it. This is a traditional dessert yet tastes completely divine.
It tastes even greater when prepared with pure desi ghee. Want to make ghee at home? Then check this: How to make ghee at home.
Suji ka Halwa is commonly prepared in every Indian home as it does not require any Pre-preparation. It is a staple dessert whenever guests are arriving.
This Sheera is commonly prepared during Indian festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali, and Navratri. It is also served as Prashad/bhog/nived to gods whenever there is satyanarayan katha or puja at home. Prashad is an offering made to God during prayers.
Suji ka Halwa is very close to my heart and is one of my favorite sweet dishes of Indian cuisine as it always refreshes my childhood memories. I still remember when I was a kid, we used to organize Satyanarayan Puja at our home where Suji Sheera is offered in small cups as Prashad to the guests. I always wait for the puja to finish fast (even now), so I can get to eat my whole cup without sharing with anyone else. It tastes so delicious and I feel so blessed.
I suggest preparing it using milk instead of water for a richer taste. Suji Sheera is very healthy as it is a good source of Protein, Calcium, and dietary fiber.
Traditionally Suji Sheera is best accompanied by puri and Indian curry. It is usually served as a sweet snack or dessert at lunch or dinner.
You can also try other Popular Indian Sweet Dishes :
For more recipes click here.
I am also interested to know if you had any good moments with this Suji Sheera then tell in the comments section. Please try this recipe and do let me know how it turned out in the comments section. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to catch my latest updates.
- 1 cup semolina ( suji )
- 3 cup milk / 1 ½ cup milk + 1 ½ cup water
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup nuts ( roughly chopped )
- 1 tbsp resins
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp soaked saffron water
- Chopped nuts, for garnishing
- In a deep, heavy-based nonstick pan heat ghee. Add suji. Stir it on medium-high flame.
- Meanwhile, boil milk or milk + water and sugar in another pan. ( If pan having handle then it will be helpful for you ).
- Stir suji for 8-10 min or when the suji turns into a light brown and gets a glossy look and does not stick together much. Add nuts and raisins in suji.
- Add sugar solution slowly and continuously stir it.
- Cook on slow flame till the liquid is absorbed approx. 15-20. You can see now suji ka halwa is about to ready. It does not stick to the pan.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron water. Cook till the water gets absorbed.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish the prepared suji ka halwa with chopped nuts and serve hot.