Methi Pulao is a simple but popular Indian pulao made using Fenugreek leaves. Fenugreek leaves tends to be bitter, though when cooked right and paired with certain veggies, it makes for a blissful meal. I do not prefer cooking the greens for a long time in order to retain its nutrition and color. Hence this method of cooking the greens separately for few minutes before adding to it to freshly cooked rice. It looks vibrant, it is mildly spiced and the flavor of methi shines through. Depending on your preference, you can adjust the spices as well as the quantity of methi.
- 1 ½ cup pulao rice
- 1 ½ cup methi (fenugreek leaves ) ( fine chopped )
- ½ cup onion ( fine chopped )
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- ¼ tsp ginger paste
- 1 – 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5 tsp fresh garam masala
- Salt according to taste ( 1 ½ - 2 tsp )
- 2 ½ cup waterInstructions ( 1 cup = 250 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml)
fresh garam masala recipe ).
- Soak rice in warm water for 30 min. Drain and keep aside.
- Rains methi properly and fine chop them. Keep it aside.
- Prepare garam masala as per mentioned in recipe (
- Heat oil in deep non-stick pan or kadai.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till oil get released.
- Add green chili, ginger and garlic paste. Sauté for a while.
- Add prepared garam masala. Sauté for a min.
- Add chopped methi. Mix well. Cover the lid and cook it methi get soften and cooked.
- Add rice. Mix well.
- Add water and cover the lid.
- Stir genetly in between.
- When rice get cooked. Turn of the flame.
- Serve hot with papad, raita and pickle of your choice.