Tikhi Bhakhri | Masala Paratha | Spicy Whole Wheat Indian Flatbread Recipe
Tikhi Bhakhri is a variation of regular Gujarati Bhakhri, due to the presence of a few Indian spices/masala. It is a little spicy, but more flavourful crispy whole wheat Indian Flatbread. The Tikhi Bhakri recipe includes chili powder to tingle your taste buds.
In this recipe, I take a bowl and mix Whole wheat flour/atta and salt, oil, chili powder, turmeric powder, white sesame seeds, and carom seeds and knead a stiff dough. After it rests for a while, I divide the dough into small portions and roll it into a thick circle like paratha and then straight onto Tawa for roasting it on both sides.
This Tikhi Bhakhri recipe is:
- Quick to make
- Tasty and flavourful
In every Gujarati household, people like to eat this Tikhi Bhakri during Breakfast. It has been my favorite breakfast ever since I remember.
When I was a kid, my mom made this for the whole family once or twice a week during breakfast.
Even sometimes, my mom packs 1-2 Tikhi Bhakri with my favorite Gujarati mango pickle for my school tiffin box.
- Serve it hot or warm.
- The best option for breakfast.
- Tikhi Bhakri tastes delicious along with morning Tea/Coffee or even plain Yogurt/Curd with Indian Pickle on the side.
- You can eat Tikhi Masala Bhakhri during meals with various Indian Curries, Sabzi, Kadhi, and Khichdi.
Tikhi Bhakri stays fresh for a couple of days at room temperature. You can always opt to knead a large batch of dough for making fresh Bhakhri as needed and store the remaining dough in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Here is the video recipe of the Tikhi Bhakhri :
You may also like some other Indian Flat Bread / Roti / Paratha Recipes :
- Plain Paratha
- Puri | Locha Puri | Aata Puri Recipe
- Phulka Roti | Roti Recipe | Phulka Roti Recipe
- Whole Wheat Naan on Tawa without Yeast
- Aloo Paratha
- Dudhi Thepla ( Lauki Thepla)
- Lachha Paratha
- Onion Coriander Paratha
Do try this spicy masala Tikhi Bhakhri recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments section. If you like this recipe, then rate the recipe card and share it with your loved ones. Please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube to catch my latest updates.
Here is the recipe card of the Tikhi Bhakhri recipe :
- Whole wheat flour / Aata - 2 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp, as per taste
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Carom seeds/ajwain - ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Water - ½ - ¾ cup, as per need
- Oil for roasting
- Add flour, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sesame seeds, carom seeds, and 1 tbsp oil.
- Mix well.
- Gradually add water and make a stiff dough.
- Apply oil, cover it, and let it rest for some time.
- After some time, divide the dough into 12 equal size balls.
- Flatten one ball and roll it into a thick circle like a paratha.
- Place upside down on a hot iron tawa.
- Cook partially.
- Flip and cook from another side until brown spots appear.
- Flip upside down, add tsp of oil, and roast on medium-high flame.
- Same way roast another side too.
- Gently press the edges using a spatula until done.
- Take out on a plate and same way prepare all Bhakhri / Parathas.
- Serve hot or store in a casserole.
- Enjoy them with chunda, pickle of your choice, curd, or tea/coffee.