Mamra Ladoo or Murmura Ladoo is as popular as Chikki and is relished by both young and old generation. Mamra/murmura or puffed rice is a type of puffed grain made from rice, and is very light and easy to digest.
These mamra ladoo are made without oil or ghee still they are very tasty. Using jaggery instead of white sugar retains the traditional charm of this recipe It is more fun to have because that crunchy murmura ladoos gives a superb mouthfeel.
It is so quick and easy. The only thing to be taken care is the jaggery should be properly caramelized. Having murmura ladoo in cold winter is more fun. People in Gujarat enjoy eating Sing Chikki, til chikki and mamra ladoo during festival of Uttrayan.
- 4 cup mamra ( puffed rice )
- ½ cup jaggery ( mashed and tightly packed )
- 1 tsp ghee
- Grease the marble and rolling pin with oil.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom based kadai or pan.
- Add jaggery.
- Cook on medium high flame for 2 min or till jaggery become very light and fluffy.
- Cook on slow flame for 1 - 2 min or till jaggery become dark brown in color. Continuously stir it.
- Add mamra. Turn off flame. Quickly mix well.
- Put pan on stand. Apply little water on your hands.
- Take a mixture of mamra ladoo and make a ball of desire size.
- Same way prepare all mara ladoos.
- Either immediately spread the mixture of mamra ladoo into greased plate. Flat it with base of small bowl. Cut mamra chikki into desire shape.
- Allow to cool it. Then break mamra chikki into given shapes.
- Store these mamra chikki or mamra ladoo into air tight container. Enjoy this healthy version of sweet during kite festival.