We can make jalebi by two different methods: Instant method or traditional fermentation method.
During these quarantine days, I am learning how to make a sourdough starter. In this method, every day we are discarding half, with which we can prepare a lot of dishes. One can use this discard directly as jalebi batter and is a great way to use up an excess sourdough discard. The crunch and taste of these Sourdough Jalebis were so perfect!!
These crunchy hot jalebis best enjoyed with rabdi or milk! In Gujarat, fafda and jalebi is a popular combination. Whereas in Indore city, Jalebis served with Indori Poha.
You can also try our other Indian Dessert Recipes :
Suji ka Halwa
Soon will post how to make sourdough starter. Till that please google and prpeare your sourdough discard to enjoy this recipe.
- Sourdough discard ( I used 50-50 APF –WWF discard ( 2-3 days to 10 days ) – 1 cup
- Turmeric or any organic yellow or orange food color – ⅛ tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Cardamom powder – ⅛ tsp
- Saffron – a pinch
- Ghee for frying
- While making sugar syrup in a saucepan, add sugar and water.
- Boil on medium flame until it reaches a one string consistency.
- Once the syrup starts to boil, continuously check the consistency.
- Take a few drops of syrup in a spoon.
- Once cool slightly, take it between thumb and finger and check the consistency.
- Once sugar syrup is ready, turn off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron to it.
- Mix well and keep it aside.
- If your syrup goes beyond the single thread consistency, again add some water and cook. Recheck the consistency.
- Take a sourdough discard in a mixing bowl.
- Add turmeric powder or any food color. Mix well.
- Transfer the batter into the piping bag, zip lock bag, or cotton bag.
- Make a small hole and keep it aside.
- Heat Ghee for frying and set the flame to medium-high heat.
- Move the piping bag in a circular motion to get the shape of jalebi.
- Flip it and cook from both sides.
- When it turns crisp, remove it, and add it to warm sugar syrup.
- Before adding jalebi, check the sugar syrup, it must be warm.
- Soak them into syrup for 3 -4 minutes. Remove them on a plate.
- Same way prepare all jalebis and serve hot.
- Please ignore the shapes of my jalebis.
- For perfect shape, we need some more practice.
Leave A Comment