It is a popular south Indian breakfast. Vermicelli is made from rawa and also known as semiya or sevai.
Semiya Upma is just another variety of upma and its preparation is as same as regular rawa upma. It is rich in protein, dietary fibers, minerals, and vitamins. It takes 15-20 min to cook. As it is healthy and easy to cook, vermicelli upma is no more limited to a breakfast dish.
Whenever I am running a sort of time, I choose this healthy dish as my meal. My lil one just loved this version of upma.
You can also try our other breakfast recipes :
You can also try our other South Indian Recipes. Click Here.
Here is a recipe card for Vermicelli Upma or Sevai Upma :
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 1or 2
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Hing – a pinch
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Mix vegetables – ½ cup chopped ( carrot, beans, peas etc )
- Salt – 1 tsp ( according to taste )
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Lemon – 1 or according to taste
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Dry roast vermicelli on slow flame. Continuously keep stirring and roast uniformly until lightly golden.
- When done transfer to a plate.
- If using roasted vermicelli then skip this step.
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil becomes hot add mustard seeds.
- When they starts to splutter add urad dal. Saute well.
- Add chopped green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onion. Saute well until onion turns transparent.
- Add chopped vegetables. Sprinkle some salt, mix well. Cover and cook for 2 -3 min. ( optional )
- Add water and salt. When water starts to boil, add roasted vermicelli.
- Continuously keep stirring for 2 – 3 minutes to avoid lumps.
- Cover the pan and cook on slow flame until vermicelli cooked completely. Cook until water gets absorbed.
- Turn off flame.
- Squeeze lemon according taste. Add handful of fresh coriander leaves. Toss well.
- Serve warm sevai upma or semiya upma along with your favorite chutney.
Quantity of water may differ for thick and thin vermicelli.
You can add peanuts.