Homemade Dry Ginger Powder Recipe| How to make Sonth/Saunth Powder at Home?
Sonth is Dried Ginger. Today I will be sharing with you a simple and easy recipe for making Sonth Powder, also known as Dry Ginger Powder recipe at Home.
To make ginger powder, purchase seasonal, firm, smooth, and big sized ginger. Avoid buying ginger that has more wrinkles, fibers, and tender. Wash, peel, and pat dry it. Cut them into thin slices and place them on the plate. Sundry these slices for a couple of days until they are dried. Then grind them into fine for up to a year. Powder and store it in an airtight glass container.
I know that Dry Ginger Powder is readily available in the market. But, I prefer homemade sunth as it will be fresh, pure, inexpensive, hygienic, and without any adulteration.
About Ginger and its Health Benefits:
Ginger/Ginger root/Adrak is an ancient flowering plant used both as a spice and medicine. It has a warming earthy flavor with both spicy & sweet notes. Ginger not only adds flavor to the Dish but also its powerful antioxidant properties heal both body and mind. It helps to:
- Cures headaches, cough, and cold
- Prevents bloating
- Menstrual cramps
- Cures an upset stomach
- Relieves nausea, vomiting, and motion sickness
- Reduces muscle pain and internal inflammation
- Fights several types of cancer
- Inhibits the growth of certain viruses, bacteria, and fungi
Dry ginger powder is well known as Sonth in Hindi, sunth in Gujarati, suntha in Marathi, sukku in Tamil, chukku in Malayalam, and shunti in Kannada.
In India, you can use Sonth to make Tea, Ladoo, and many more.
In western countries, Ginger-bread, Ginger-candy, Ginger-cookies are quite popular recipes.
- Make sure the ginger is completely dry before grinding and storing it because even a little moisture in it can cause mold inside it.
- Let the powder cool to room temperature before storing it in the container.
- Always Grind in small batches.
- You can also sieve it to make sure that the powder is smooth and even.
Here is the video recipe of the Dry Ginger Powder Recipe :
You may also like some more winter special Traditional Indian recipes :
- Sonth Gud Ladoo | Sonth Gur Ki Goli
- Gajar Ka Halwa | Carrot Halwa Recipe
- Easy Amla Pickle Recipe | Athela Amla Recipe
- Instant Fresh Turmeric Pickle | Atheli Haldar | Haldi Ka Achar
- Sing Chikki ( Peanut Chikki or Peanut Crackers)
- For more winter special recipes click here.
If you like this homemade dry ginger powder recipe, then like, share, and comment. Rate the recipe card.
Here is the recipe card of the dry ginger powder recipe :
- Ginger - 250 gms
- Wash the ginger and remove impurities from the skin if any.
- Dry them completely.
- Take a completely dry knife and plate.
- Thinly slice the ginger along with the skin.
- Arrange them on the plate.
- Dry these ginger slices in sunlight for 2 days.
- After 2 days, let them completely dry on the kitchen slab.
- It will take approx 5-6 days.
- Once they are completely dried, grind them into a fine powder.
- You can preserve dry ginger for the whole year and make fresh dry ginger powder in small quantities.